Trip Advice: Devils Punchbowl and Hell for Sure Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip Advice: Devils Punchbowl and Hell for Sure Lake

Post by mbehlen »

Hey Gang!

I have my permit scheduled and I am ready! I just wanted to ask if you knew of anyone who had gone to this area recently? How's the smoke?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Personally, I would not go to the Sierra as a photographer, but my standards are very high since I make a partial living from it, capturing a piece that is worthy of going into my gallery is hard enough, without having to deal with smoke on a day to day basis. After on a photography trip a decade ago, thru Lakes Basin, Dumbbell Lakes, and Amphitheater Lakes Basin, with the Tehipite Fire on-going, on which I had difficult breathing, runny/burning eyes, and could not see the Palisades from Cataract Pass, will not waste my time, effort, or subject my health to those conditions again.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

I agree with Maverick I'm just bummed. It's my only vacation this year. Any recommendations for another trip anywhere with 4 hours of Fresno? Most likely ill still go because if I don't I'll miss out this year. Thoughts on alternatives this last minute?

mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

Fast Thinking: Maybe I'll go to Big Sur and do Cone Peak? I can hit the road Saturday Morning and have to be home Wed by 6pm.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looking at the smoke and wind patterns for next couple of days, you may be okay, not totally smokeless, but not to bad, but with that said, the with Mendocino Complex Fire still growing and Horse Creek Fire adding smoke to the Ferguson Fire's, add in a wind shift, that could change things dramatically. :(

If photography, and long distance views are not a priority, but just getting out is, then just go for it.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

Thanks Maverick. I'll keep myself posted and watch and see what happens as the days move closer. Thank you for your help!

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

mbehlen wrote:Fast Thinking: Maybe I'll go to Big Sur and do Cone Peak? I can hit the road Saturday Morning and have to be home Wed by 6pm.

The Ventana Wilderness in summer is not worth it, IMO. Hot and dry, buggy as all get out, tons of poison oak, tons of trail erosion every single year, and Cone Peak area is crowded. Ticks, ticks and more ticks, and oh, there's ticks... I swear to dog that I have yet to see the like of my poor doggo sitting there covered in them, after just a few minutes in the leaves.

But, that's me. I'll be in the DInkey this weekend regardless. Webcams are favorable thus far, this week.
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

Hey AlmostThere,

Mind linking me to the webcams? After panicking through the afternoon I have calmed down a little bit and will head up to basin and just turn back if I need to.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shaver Lake has nearest working webcam, doesn't look to good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.