TR: John Muir Trail (Rush Creek to Whitney Portal)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xiainx
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: John Muir Trail (Rush Creek to Whitney Portal)

Post by xiainx »

Hey all, I wrote up a trip report about my hike of most of the JMT (Rush Creek to Whitney Portal) a couple of weeks ago. Hope you enjoy, and this is my first time doing one of these, so if you have any feedback I would appreciate it. Thanks!

https://macdonaldiain.wordpress.com/201 ... roduction/
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: John Muir Trail (Rush Creek to Whitney Portal)

Post by tlsharb »

Iain, that is a really well done tr. Two observations: #1. the first thing on your food list is Starbucks Via. That stuff is amazing-- I start every day in the backcountry with some Italian Roast. #2-- anyone who says they didn't train specifically for the trip, but runs 70 miles per week, has an odd view of training :). Once again thanks for taking the time to put this together.
ts
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

I enjoyed these photos and reading your report, thank you for sharing it.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Nice trip report and photos to match.
Thank you for sharing.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

Great report! Your fitness is amazing. Awesome job completing the trail in the time you gave yourself!!

Your assessment of Rush Creek trail was on point. I was there June 23rd because I had spent 4 days in the Lee Vining area for a mountaineering course, and was looking for a nice day hike on the last day of the trip.

I drove to June lakes and embarked on the trail - this was the first and ONLY time I have ever had negative feelings on a trail anywhere in the Sierras. The road below, the dams and concrete, the bugs, the views, the dirty lakes. It's also a bit off a tough trail and not much to get your mind off the incline.

I almost feel guilty about it - how can I feel so strongly negative and unappreciative about an area I love so much? LOL
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by venturefar »

Great TR! We crossed paths on the Bighorn Plateau. Glad it wasn't too smoky for your Whitney/Muir summit day. Thanks for sharing!
@aguabonita
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,
Yep, kudos on a great TR; thanks!
Just a few comments: that first flower shot was heather and I'm pretty certain the "lupine" in another photo (in Evo basin) was actually shooting stars (easy to get great flower images on google).
Beyond that, I was really tickled to see a burning tree: having encountered plenty of lightning-fried hulks, you had the "good fortune" to see one burning. Better the tree than thee!
And, yes, I'd only do Rush Creek under abject duress. A late season trip several years ago found us dodging more stock crap than I've ever seen in my life. I was particularly thrilled when one huge pack train stopped where we were lunching to let the animals drink from and poop into the creek from which we'd just drawn water. Love that wilderness feeling!
Finally, for how fast you were moving, I'm surprised your photos were not blurred. My wife's looking for a new camera: would you divulge the make/model of yours?
Cameron
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

Thanks for reading everyone!

@tlsharb, Starbucks Via is pretty good, but my favourite brand of instant coffee is actually Alpine Start. I think it's a little bit tastier, but I use Via as well because it's cheaper.

@cgunderson, I was usually hiking between 2.5 and 3.5 miles per hour, for 12-14 hours a day. I stopped to take all of the pictures, even if just for a few seconds. My camera equipment was very accessible: phone in my pocket and camera in a holster on my shoulder strap. That meant it was very easy to stop for 10 seconds and get a couple of pictures before continuing on. About two thirds of the pictures in my trip report were taken with a Sony A7R, a Sony SEL2870 lens, and sometimes a polarizing filter. The other third were taken with a Google Pixel phone.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hi ian,
Thanks for the heads up on the camera; we'll see what the boss decides, but most anything will be better than what's she's got now! Cameron
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jeremiahkim »

Wow, really enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing the food list as well—always interested in how people fuel, especially on longer trips. I've been huge fan of the ProBars for the last two seasons but on my last trip could barely stomach them. Perhaps their time as come for me.

The photo of the flowers on Day 4 is gorgeous. The A7 and PD holster set up works for me as well.

Cheers!