Kid-friendly backpacking suggestions needed, please!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Kid-friendly backpacking suggestions needed, please!

Post by mangomegan »

We are starting to research for a few summer trips, and would really appreciate any input.

Kids are 8 and 11, and have done four trips so far:
1) Desolation Wilderness, Echo Lake to Tamarack Lake
2) Emigrant Wilderness, Gianelli TH to Powell Lake
3) Little Lakes Valley
4) Sabrina Basin

We all especially loved the dramatic scenery of the Eastern Sierra, and feel somewhat spoiled by it! Would love to find other trips with stunning scenery.

We do not fish.

Kids can probably do 5 miles per day max.

Thought about trying the Thousand Island area, but not sure if the mileage can be tailored to accommodate our need for low daily mileage.

Thanks for any help! We'd ideally do one trip in July and another in August. Possibly a third in Sept, but somewhat unlikely with son's soccer schedule!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Kid-friendly backpacking suggestions needed, please!

Post by balzaccom »

And the East Site, look at Little Lakes Valley---a great place that offers a selection of destinations within a few miles of the trailhead.

On the West Side, there are tons of five mile limit destinations in Desolation---but also look at Carson Pass. And there are quite a few lakes in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness that would do: Sword lake, Lost Lake, Boulder Lake, Waterhouse, etc...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Kids are 8 and 11, and have done four trips so far:
1) Desolation Wilderness, Echo Lake to Tamarack Lake
2) Emigrant Wilderness, Gianelli TH to Powell Lake
3) Little Lakes Valley
4) Sabrina Basin
As you have already mention doing Little Lakes Valley, would add 20 Lakes Basin and North Fork Big Pine, these would be perfect the kids. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Along with North Fork Big Pine Creek, here are a three other suggestions, two east side, the other west side. We took our son to all three places and he had a great time.

1. Virginia Canyon from Virginia Lakes. Spend the first and last night at Summit Lake and any other days in upper Virginia Canyon.

2, Mono Pass to Fourth Recess. You can spend the first night at either Ruby Lake (short) or Trail Lakes on the other side of Mono Pass. From there, go down to Fourth Recess. If this sounds interesting, PM me and I can get more specific on campsite suggestions.

3. Granite Creek trailhead in the Ansel Adams wilderness. Spend the first night at Cora lakes, then go to either Lower Isberg Lake or Joe Crane Lake. Again, you can PM me if you want more details.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

You said you wanted to do 2-3 trips. You want dramatic and stunning scenery. You have tried the eastside. Perhaps it is now time to try the westside.

Mineral King in SEKI has two nice trips:

Mosquito Lake #2 and Eagle Lake. Note that camping is not allowed at Mosquito Lake #1. Also, the trail ends at the first lake. If you don't like the second lake, you can always camp at any of the other three Mosquito lakes. You can even turn this trip into two separate trips (Mosquito Lakes one trip and Eagle Lake the other).

Franklin Lake - Franklin Pass - Forester Lake - Little Claire Lake. This trip is harder. But it's the easiest trail over the Great Western Divide. Also, you can camp at Franklin Lake the first night and Forester Lake the second night. Little Claire Lake can be a third night, or an easy dayhike. You can take two nights to return to the trailhead or one day if all of you are up to it.

Now for the third trip:

Sunset Meadow - Seville Lake - Ranger Lake. This trip also requires a SEKI wilderness permit. You hike a small portion through Jennie Lakes Wilderness and then into SEKI. Seville Lake is your first night (Rowell Meadow can be your first night if you get a late start). Ranger Lake can be a second night or dayhike. There's also Lost Lake and Beville Lake nearby which can be another campsite or dayhike. From Seville Lake, you can definitely return to the trailhead the same day.

All of these trips are straightforward and easy to amend and change as you see fit. Enjoy! :)
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions, everyone! Off to research :)
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

I did Little Lakes Valley with my 8 year old daughter last year and she loved it.

20 Lakes Basin is lovely but we enjoyed LLV so much.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

We did North Fork Big Pine as my kids' second backpack. If you keep your eyes open, you can find nice campsites along the creek after the (I forget which actor's) cabin. My kids were so pooped after only about 3.5 miles that we based camped there and day hiked around the lakes. We had thunder storms every afternoon and the kids were not as scared at a slightly lower altitude as well. The turquoise lakes are magnificent!!
You could also spend your first night along the creek and then a second night up at one of the lakes.
I have found that the quality of the campsite (flat with nice views of creek and trees or lake) and spending at least one layover day increases the kids' enjoyment immensely.
Also, on the west side, leaving from the Courtright reservoir, you can go to the Kings River for your second night and then North or East to more dramatic granite. The first day is lovely forest and very pretty meadows. The Kings River there is magnificent!! Lots of water rushing down solid polished granite
walls.
Cottonwood Lakes basin is everyone's favorite. You do NOT have to make it to the lakes. Last time we were there, I was the one not feeling well, not my daughter, and we found a lovely spot in the trees by the creek, about 4 or 5 miles from the trailhead. The next day we went up to Long Lake. We base camped a Long Lake for two nights. One day went up New Army Pass, the second day we explored around the Cottonwood Lakes basin.
Yes, there is camping on the way to Thousand Island. You can camp near Olancha Lake, but that is probably too close to the trailhead. Lots of places along Shadow Creek after the Lake. Lake Ediza is a very worthwhile stopover. Magnificent scenery. You can make it a loop and come back a different trail. The River Trail goes through a granite canyon and the creek running through it and is covered with tall, bright yellow flowers! The PCT gives views of where you just were only a couple of days before: Shadow Creek and the Falls!
Memento Mori
Topix Novice

Post by Memento Mori »

Definitely give the Dinkey Lakes some consideration. This was our father/son group's first backpacking trip with our young boys and it was a rousing success. Good camp spots at Dinkey Lake #2, and a short hike up the trail to the amazing Little Island Lake. Great swimming there as well as some hidden campsites along the shore. Also, the campground at Dinkey Creek (where we spent out first and last nights of the trip) has some great swimming holes, cliff jump, and rock slide. You and the kids will love it.
Dinkey Lakes.docx
I also second the Sunset Meadow - Seville Lake - Ranger Lake suggestion. We also did this trip from the the Jeannie Lakes wilderness were well rewarded. The fire ring at the Seville Lake camp spot was a huge bonus. Also, Grant Grove is a short car ride away for supplies and a visit to the General Grant Tree. Well worth it.
Seville Lake.docx
We have permits for the Mosquito Lake #2/Eagle Lake trip at the end of July and are looking forward to it.

Best of luck and good for you for getting the family out there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalScot
Topix Newbie

Post by CalScot »

You might want to consider Chewing Gum Lake out of Pinecrest (Gianelli trailhead). Stop at Powell Lake on the way in and out for lunch and swimming breaks the hike in half. Total mileage each way is 4.5 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk