High Loop around Mt. Brewer: more photos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Loop around Mt. Brewer: more photos

Post by kursavwilage »

cgundersen: Love that you still carry the external frame. I too can't seem to be satisfied with anything other than my trusty 1980s Jansports with the hip wing support. Right now I carry a Jansport, Yosemite, Kangchenjunga addition that I picked up on ebay. I also have a D2, D3 and another Yosemite as backup that I also nabbed on ebay so I should be covered for the rest of my backpacking future...Never found any internal frame that carried with the comfort of the external frame and I have tried quite a few. Also, I just love the looks that the "ultra-lighters" give me for carrying such a heavy looking pack. It may not look light but, the heaviest weight I carry for a 10 day trip is 42 lbs including my 3.5 lb camera...
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: High Loop around Mt. Brewer: more photos

Post by cgundersen »

Hi K,
Great to know that one can get good vintage gear on eBay, and yes, these big, old external frame packs do garner stares and disbelief among those who have not seen such historical anachronisms. But, they do work! Cameron