Mid August Trip Suggestions (Mineral King/SEKI)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mid August Trip Suggestions (Mineral King/SEKI)

Post by wildhiker »

IF you can get the permit, and IF the Tuolumne Meadows shuttle is running (Yosemite park website says it is, but Markskor recently posted that it is not - call Yosemite Hospitality to confirm), then I would suggest using the Cathedral Lakes trailhead, heading south on the John Muir Trail. First night an easy hike to camp at one of the Cathedral Lakes (I like the view of Cathedral Peak from the north side of Lower Cathedral Lake), or if you are feeling vigorous, continue on over Cathedral Pass and then leave the trail just south of the pass and walk down the meadowed valley along Cathedral Fork of Echo Creek (you may find traces of use trail) to camp at Echo Lake with Matthes Crest towering above. Second day, continue south on the JMT (return up the valley if you camped at Echo Lake) to the Sunrise High Sierra Camp and then take the trail west to Sunrise Lakes to camp. Pick your lake - I liked Middle Sunrise because it was off the trail a bit (easy walk down open slopes from the trail to the lake). Third day, pack up early and continue west on the Sunrise Lakes trail to the junction with the Clouds Rest trail. Hide your pack somewhere here (remove the bear canister so a curious bear doesn't tear open your pack if he smells it) - make sure you remember where it is! Then take a day hike to the top of Clouds Rest - or as far up as you are comfortable going, with increasingly good views the higher you get. Return to your pack and hike a couple miles all downhill to Tenaya Lake (less than an hour) and catch the shuttle bus back to Tuolumne Meadows. Obviously, this doesn't work if the shuttle is not running.

Another slightly harder loop that does not require a shuttle but gets even higher would be to start up the Rafferty Creek trail (possibly easier to get this permit, since it is not the John Muir Trail) and camp at Fletcher Lake (or continue up to Vogelsang Lake if you want more solitude - good spots on the broad ridge southwest of the lake outlet). 2nd day take the trail to Evelyn Lake and then the side trail to Ireland Lake. The trail ends at the northwest corner of Ireland Lake. Walk over open short grass meadow around the north end of the lake to the outlet and then follow the outlet down to camp spots among bristlecone pines near smaller tarns. 3rd day return to the Ireland Lake trail and take it back north to the intersection, where you head east and down, down, down to the Lyell Fork Tuolumne River and catch the John Muir Trail heading north back to Tuolumne Meadows. On a trip with a bunch of children ages 7 to 15, we all made it out from a camp at the Ireland Lake outlet to Tuolumne Meadows in 3 hours. If you have extra energy at Ireland Lake, explore up the huge meadowed basin above it to the southeast.

By the way, after you get your permit, you can camp Sunday night at the backpacker's campground in Tuolumne Meadows to acclimate. You need to do something that afternoon, so I suggest a day hike up to Lembert Dome.

-Phil
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

OP: Why do you have to backpack at all? If you're just about seeing as much of the high country as possible (I am too, btw), then why not car camp and backpack? You'll see a helluvalot more sights day hiking than you ever will by backpacking.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Mbehlen, my first thought was yikes. Even being a Sunday, it's prime season in YOSE. Why chance it that you may not get a TM permit? After all, you want to enjoy your four days, not be stuck with stress and aggravation. My suggestion is to go to https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm and get yourself a wilderness permit.

Since it's your first solo, as others have advised, choose an easy well-traveled Mineral King trailhead like Franklin Pass, Mosquito or Eagle Lakes. You can put together a four day trip with any of these. An alternative would be Belle Canyon out of the Grant Grove area. I would include all of these on your permit application. Enjoy! :)
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Eh, I wouldn't completely discount Mineral King for your first Sierra trip. Back when I was first getting into the hobby, which was only a few years back, I went to MK for my first Sierra backpacking trip and only my third trip overall. The first two were solo weekend trips in Angeles National Forest, and MK was a solo trip starting at the Tar Gap Trailhead and routing through Blackrock Pass to end it. It was a slightly longer trip than yours at five or six days that involved some light cross country over Shotgun Pass, but I don't recall ever once being outside of my comfort zone. That's despite the fact that my GI issues were acting up one afternoon that forced me to write off the rest of the day at one of the lakes below Shotgun Pass. I also recall Tar Gap having the advantage of being a less popular trailhead (Not surprising considering the others get you into the iconic landscapes a lot quicker) and having a much gentler grade. You'll still have to deal with more serious passes later on, but you definitely shouldn't get wiped out on your first or second day. Despite Tar Gap Trailhead's lower popularity, I still don't think I had a single day where I didn't run into other people. And that was well into the shoulder season (Started on 9/23).
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mbehlen »

Hey everyone! I ended up doing the mineral king loop! I have a trip report FINALLY coming. Will post this weekend!
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Looking forward to it. Please include a map with your route! I'm in the early stages of planning a trip myself and this area has piqued my interest.