Going from South Yosemite to Tioga Pass.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Going from South Yosemite to Tioga Pass.

Post by Aviprk »

I was lucky enough to find a campsite at the southern entrance of Yosemite NP for 4 campsites called summerdale campground. I know know should have done earlier blah blah blah and I wanted to have a campsite along Tioga rd (especially Tuolumne Meadows) to have easy access to the wonderful trails there. I was just given the assignment to reserve something at Yosemite so i was stuck till I finally found something decent.

Still, I want to have that option of hiking in the TH's of the Tioga Road area. Does anyone know how far it is from Wawona to about Tenaya lake. I see the map and the only way is around Wawona road and you go for a very long time - generally west - till you reach Tioga Rd (Hwy 120)

I wanted to hike up Clouds Rest and was wondering if I should just start from the Valley or just I just go over to Tenaya lake from Tioga Rd and start from there and also enjoy the beauty along the rd (which I've never been to). Also, any other hikes along TM that is a "must not miss" and not beyond Tenaya lake or nearby?

PS: If we do go to Tioga it will likely be for one day only so we need to make the best out of it. Thanks so much!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Aviprk writes: “Does anyone know how far it is from Wawona to about Tenaya Lake. I see the map and the only way is around Wawona road and you go for a very long time - generally west - till you reach Tioga Rd (Hwy 120)â€
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

A nice little hike on Tioga Pass would be Gaylor/Granite Lakes. As for as Clouds Rest...I did it as a day hike. If you do it as a BP trip, water is an issue.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I guess for many folks, who drive to Yosemite from places such as the Bay Area or southern California, 1.5 hours or so to the Tuolumne/Tenaya area is still a prime location. You are an hour or so better than being in Oakhurst and that translates to 2 hours round trip extra. Even with 1.5 hours to the "high country" kick off points, I still think your location is pretty good. Depending on how far to hike, you still have plenty of good hikes to choose from along the 120 corridor that are amenable to good dayhiking. Ditto Markskor's recommendation of doing Cloud's Rest from Tenaya. I don't see a problem of doing that as a dayhike with you based at the southern boundary of the Park. My entire family, including my mom, who was 52 at the time with vericose veins, made the day hike from Tenaya as a drive up and back from Palo Alto in the Bay Area (this included my brother and I sprinting off for a "bonus" fishing inspection of Mildred Lake on the way back). Yes, granted we returned at 1 am or something, but think how much earlier you'll be back at camp in Wawona and vicinity. Other 120 corridor hikes you have time for include Mt. Dana, Mt. Hoffman, Grant Lake and Sunrise Lakes (among others for the fishing inclined), as well as mellow hiking around Tioga Pass (Gaylors, Saddlebag area). In addition to being close to the famed hikes in the valley and spectacular hikes and vistas from Glacier Point, if you have a fishing bug, you are even closer to (or right at) kickoffs for hikes to places such as Buena Vista, Ostrander, Johnson, and Ostrander Lakes.

I guess what I'm saying is that staying at a campground on the southern border of Yosemite for 4 days isn't such a bad thing.
Last edited by giantbrookie on Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

I wanted to do Gaylor/Granite Lakes and 20 lakes basin so bad but I don't think my friends will want to drive 2 hours all the way over Tioga Pass and down to hike those lakes. If I do go to Tioga Road I want a hike that will last a good portion of the day so the driving makes it worth it!