Tehipite Valley Trip Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehipite Valley Trip Questions

Post by TehipiteTom »

HurryUpShriimp wrote:So from what I am understanding, I should expect to find no viable routes to the Painted Rock area this early in the season? Would everyone agree that both Crown Creek and the Middle Fork are mostly likely deemed uncrossable at this point, leaving the area south of the Middle Fork (George of Despair & Painted Rock) inaccessible?
I would guess that the Middle Fork will be impassable. Crown Creek, I'm not so sure. I crossed it at the beginning of July in a significantly heavier snowpack year than this--IIRC, it was thigh deep. That said, use your best judgment, and keep in mind the possibility that what can be crossed in the morning may be uncrossable in the afternoon (especially if the weather is hotter than normal).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

In the past week, a friend took a couple people down from the Crown TH and returned the same way with pics of painted rock. They did not however go all the way down the canyon. Two more hikers attempted to go in from Granite Pass, and turned around at the river - not crossable at Simpson yet. Trails to Crown Valley are passable, per some trail crew associates who have been there. Meanwhile, I did not get to Blaney Hot Springs as the SJ was still very fast and deep. I would add this all up to assume that rivers are still high and problematic, the streams less so, but caution is still warranted.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

@HurryUpShriimp
How did it go?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

Bumping this again. @HurryUpShriimp - how did you fair?
HurryUpShriimp
Topix Novice

Post by HurryUpShriimp »

Sorry I forgot to get back to everyone. We began our excursion on June 23rd of this summer. I am sad to say that we were not able to make it to the valley. I brought 2 friends with me, one of which is not a very experienced backpacker. I may have overestimated him a bit, for he had a very hard time keeping up. The path was very unmaintained for the majority of it and we spent a lot of time navigating back to the trail. We made it to the obelisk when i realized that taking my exhausted friend into the valley would most likely end poorly, although he seemed more than willing to follow me into the gorge of his despair lol. I made the decision to turn around to a lake we passed along the way. Although we did not reach our destination, the remaining days were spent catching plenty of healthy trout and lounging in a pool of waterfalls we passed.

I will be back to Kings, hopefully soon. Would the upcoming months be a good time to make it to tehipite?
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Sounds like you made the wise decision. Much better to have a good time with your friends than to push it and risk problems. Also keeping friendships intact is priceless.

I think alot of people like going to Tehipite Valley the first half of October because it's cooler and there's less chance of getting heat exhaustion. Of course, there's also the risk of an early season snow storm which would impact the trail leading to the rim. But as long as the weather forecast is clear, it's probably an excellent time. The only thing I can think of is since it's a dry year, you have to carry plenty of water.

Any HSTrs want to chime in on this?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'd say it's a very good thing you turned around, because the Obelisk is not even on the trail to Tehipite.

You didn't get far enough - you turned on the trail to Geraldine Lakes instead of the trail to Tehipite. More map study sounds like a good idea before you attempt it again...
HurryUpShriimp
Topix Novice

Post by HurryUpShriimp »

Thank you rightstar, I appreciate the info!