Big Chief to PCT on Senger Creek?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Big Chief to PCT on Senger Creek?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

In August 2008 I came into Big Chief-Moccasin lakes from Three Island Lake and then dropped from Moccasin Lake to Piute Creek. I was thinking of a slower fishing trip that continues to Sallie Keys as an early season trip because it is all south facing. Has anyone continued west from Big Chief Lake over the shoulder of Pt 11544, to Lower Turret Lake, and then continue at about 10,300 feet to Senger Creek to intersect the PCT below Sallie Keys Lakes? Thinking about late June this year. Is this a bad idea? If snow conditions OK I could also go up to the top of Senger Creek and drop down it. Anyone done that?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Big Chief to PCT on Senger Creek?

Post by oldranger »

Piece of cake from Big Chief to Turret contouring at about 11,000. (actually once you round the end of the ridge it gets a little complex but with your experience should not be a problem) Troutdog59 probably can tell you more about the terrain from Turret to Senger Creek as Markskor and I headed from Turret to 3 Island.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big Chief to PCT on Senger Creek?

Post by thegib »

We followed Senger Ck to upper Turret lakes etc 5 ish years ago. Very straightforward. Good route.