Trip Planning Help Wanted: Blackcap Basin 7/5-7/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Planning Help Wanted: Blackcap Basin 7/5-7/14

Post by Asolthane »

HI all. Level 4 Backpacker comfortable with river crossings and snow travel.

So I have the July 4th - 15th off this year and it looks like the snow is melting fast. I was thinking of going to Blackcap Basin. This would probably be a solo trip.

I have read all the posts here about Blackacap, though it was a few months back so I will need to do so again and make notes.

Questions:
- Does this itinerary look reasonable? https://caltopo.com/m/U7RL
- Which direction would you do it in?
- Have I correctly plotted the x-country route from Maxon to the N. Fork Kings to where it meets the trail? Have you done this route, what was it like?
- What kind of traction would you bring? (I know I will need to check snow conditions closer to trip) I have microspikes, would need to buy ice axe (and go practice before hand).
- Favorite campsites?
- Best fishing spots?
- Where would you take a layover day?
- Can't miss spots/lakes?

Thanks for your help!!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Planning Help Wanted: Blackcap Basin 7/5-7/14

Post by AlmostThere »

I think I would do it the opposite direction, myself. I doubt you'll need much for snow by then. The route looks about right so far as that goes -- you'll be making corrections on the fly, but it's not horribly difficult terrain. Class 3 if you're not careful, class 2 if you are on the double pass between Big Shot/Little Shot and Bench Valley. If you're fishing you should stop in Bench and try your luck at some of the lakes. Devils Punchbowl has mid-sized brook, some of the lakes in Bench have some nice fat surprises in store... If I did a layover it would be in Bench. Explore up the chain of lakes to the ridge and around the corner to Confusion Lake, if you don't mind talus blocks. From Bullet go up the end of the ridge and keep going up until you can contour around to the saddle. That could be an alternate to Blackcap Pass, to go down into (or up from) Rainbow Lake in Blackcap.

I can tell you the trail between Big Maxson Meadow and Maxson TH will be clear of trees, since I'll be doing that trail the week before with a saw. You'll want some good mosquito protection I think.

If it works into the schedule there are a few good campsites up the hill from the potholes in the Kings, just where the trail starts up the hill away from the river, on the way to Post Corral.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

I may be headed the same way two weeks later. I would do it the way you have laid it out. That way you get to Blackcap in two days and then work your way back. If the snow is out of the way, I'd personally go into Bench over Confusion/Gunsight pass-- just because I don't really think the lower Bench valley area is that great, but I love the upper end near Bullet, etc. I've never gone from the trailhead over the hill to the Kings, but have heard it is difficult. You will be hitting prime mosquito season, so be prepared. For some reason, Blackcap has a reputation of being pretty bad for the bugs. As far as places to camp: in Blackcap, Cathedral would be my pick. in Bench, Crabtree is gorgeous, and in Red Mtn Basin, both Blackrock and Dale are off the beaten path and really nice (at Dale go to the north side of the lake near the inlet). Fishing wise: we did real well in Blackcap at the oyster lake 2 yrs ago; in Bench check out the upper lakes (above Crabtree), there some surprises up there; and in RMB, there's nice goldens in the high lakes, and big rainbows down low. Have a great trip.
ts
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did essentially the same route 7/9 2013. You may want to look up the trip report. The x-c purple line on your route may not be feasible early due to creek crossings. That route is quite cliffy too. The Secor guide calls that route, if taken all the way down the drainage, very difficult. If you do it, I would put it at the end of the trip as an optional exit. See how you feel and how much food left. That also would give the river time to reduce flows. I had seriously considered it too, but decided I rather spend more time up higher. Serious mosquitos at Long and Post Corral Meadows- just walk through and do not camp there.

If I did the route again, I would delete the north part of Red Mountain Basin (although there are big fish in Flemming) and spend more time in the Horseshoe Lake area/ or spend more time in the drainage above Schoolmarm Lake. I loved Horseshoe Lake- camped on the big peninsula) I did a quick hike up there and would have liked to try to fish those lakes also. McGuire and Guest Lake were mosquito hell-holes, AVOID them! Little Jo was a fun day-hike. Would have liked to camp at Midway or Cathedral Lake instead of Pearl. Crossing above Lightning Corral Meadow was buggy and very swampy. Best fishing was at Horsehead.
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

AlmostThere wrote:I think I would do it the opposite direction, myself. I doubt you'll need much for snow by then. The route looks about right so far as that goes -- you'll be making corrections on the fly, but it's not horribly difficult terrain. Class 3 if you're not careful, class 2 if you are on the double pass between Big Shot/Little Shot and Bench Valley. If you're fishing you should stop in Bench and try your luck at some of the lakes. Devils Punchbowl has mid-sized brook, some of the lakes in Bench have some nice fat surprises in store... If I did a layover it would be in Bench. Explore up the chain of lakes to the ridge and around the corner to Confusion Lake, if you don't mind talus blocks. From Bullet go up the end of the ridge and keep going up until you can contour around to the saddle. That could be an alternate to Blackcap Pass, to go down into (or up from) Rainbow Lake in Blackcap.

I can tell you the trail between Big Maxson Meadow and Maxson TH will be clear of trees, since I'll be doing that trail the week before with a saw. You'll want some good mosquito protection I think.

If it works into the schedule there are a few good campsites up the hill from the potholes in the Kings, just where the trail starts up the hill away from the river, on the way to Post Corral.
Thanks for clearing the path for me hah!

By opposite direction, you mean clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks for the tip about Confusion Lake, looks like a good route option, or a nice loop to do on a layover day.

I couldn't figure out what you meant about the campsites up the hill from the potholes in the Kings...

Thank you for help!
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

tlsharb wrote:I may be headed the same way two weeks later. I would do it the way you have laid it out. That way you get to Blackcap in two days and then work your way back. If the snow is out of the way, I'd personally go into Bench over Confusion/Gunsight pass-- just because I don't really think the lower Bench valley area is that great, but I love the upper end near Bullet, etc. I've never gone from the trailhead over the hill to the Kings, but have heard it is difficult. You will be hitting prime mosquito season, so be prepared. For some reason, Blackcap has a reputation of being pretty bad for the bugs. As far as places to camp: in Blackcap, Cathedral would be my pick. in Bench, Crabtree is gorgeous, and in Red Mtn Basin, both Blackrock and Dale are off the beaten path and really nice (at Dale go to the north side of the lake near the inlet). Fishing wise: we did real well in Blackcap at the oyster lake 2 yrs ago; in Bench check out the upper lakes (above Crabtree), there some surprises up there; and in RMB, there's nice goldens in the high lakes, and big rainbows down low. Have a great trip.
ts
Thank you. Yes...I am sure Mosquitos will be awful in places. Hopefully I can find some campsites with a nice breeze and I won't suffer too bad. I had a good trip last July even though there were a few hairy moments!

I couldn't find oyster lake on the FS or USGS Map...am I just having a brain fart?
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I did essentially the same route 7/9 2013. You may want to look up the trip report. The x-c purple line on your route may not be feasible early due to creek crossings. That route is quite cliffy too. The Secor guide calls that route, if taken all the way down the drainage, very difficult. If you do it, I would put it at the end of the trip as an optional exit. See how you feel and how much food left. That also would give the river time to reduce flows. I had seriously considered it too, but decided I rather spend more time up higher. Serious mosquitos at Long and Post Corral Meadows- just walk through and do not camp there.

If I did the route again, I would delete the north part of Red Mountain Basin (although there are big fish in Flemming) and spend more time in the Horseshoe Lake area/ or spend more time in the drainage above Schoolmarm Lake. I loved Horseshoe Lake- camped on the big peninsula) I did a quick hike up there and would have liked to try to fish those lakes also. McGuire and Guest Lake were mosquito hell-holes, AVOID them! Little Jo was a fun day-hike. Would have liked to camp at Midway or Cathedral Lake instead of Pearl. Crossing above Lightning Corral Meadow was buggy and very swampy. Best fishing was at Horsehead.
Daisy, I was considering that route along Kings as a shortcut lol. Sounds like it probably won't make sense for this trip.

The suggestion of what to cut out is helpful. If I go clockwise I could bail out and skip Blackcap entirely and save it for another trip, and do a shorter loop through RM and Bench with more layover days and fishing. Though I have heard Blackcap is spectacular.

When you say the drainage aboove Schoolmarm, do you mean Six Shooter, Woo Ha, Bullet? Sounds like I should plan on that pass rather than going down to lower Bench Valley and over Blackcap Pass...except you say best fishing is at Horsehead...

Daisy, would you recommend I go counter clockwise or counterclockwise? If the low country will just be mosquito hell, rather than a nice stroll through beautiful meadows, then maybe I should get it over with? On the other hand I might be able to bust it out in one day at the end of the trip with a light pack and being acclimated.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I came over Hell for Sure into Red Mountain from Goddard, and the fishing was underwhelming. Bench has better fishing - don't skip up to the high lakes without trying Twin Bucks. Horsehead is full of small brook, the Bucks are full of 10 inch fat rainbows. We ate one or two with every meal for two days and threw back many.

My usual route is avoid the long, long, long hill up to Red Mountain - go up the creek to Guest and either go right into Blackcap or left into Bench.

The only time I have ever backed out of a trip was at Guest Lake - the mosquitoes were epic, hovering in great clouds at 3 in the afternoon. We descended after deciding to go low if they were going high. Best choice - there were none at the Kings. They were so bad at 10k that they were landing in freshly applied DEET - I was afraid they were going to eat my dog. Never seen them as bad anywhere since.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Almost There has fished more in the basin than I have, so her advise is better. I simply fish where I camp, and all I need is to catch dinner. Smaller brookies are fine with me. I simply did not have time to fish the higher lakes in Bench Valley. Yes, the lakes above Schoolmarm, are those you referred to. It looks like I "cut and pasted" my reply a bit out of order. Sorry. When traversing across Blackcap Basin high, you can skirt above Guest and McGuire lakes and avoid all those mosquitoes.

The lake of Blackcap Basin are worthy, but may be less buggy for a separate trip later in the year. It is a long walk to get there, but the trail is pretty good. It took me a day to go from Kings River at BM 8028 to Pearl Lake. Actually, a better separate trip would be to combine Blackcap Basin with Blue Canyon and Alpine Creek (Tunemah Lk) via Hummingbird Lake.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »