Trip Planning Help Wanted: Blackcap Basin 7/5-7/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip Planning Help Wanted: Blackcap Basin 7/5-7/14

Post by tlsharb »

come on....I gave you an easy one. Oyster=Pearl. Kind of like saying camp at the old church lake (Cathedral). It is terrible attempts at code :).
ts
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

Thinking about mosquitos. They are sure to be horrible at this date most places, but I didn't know I was choosing to go into a notoriously bad area at the worst time of the year.

- If you had the time, where would you go at this time of year? I have a trip from Cottonwood Lakes up to Lake S. America and back in Aug planned, and a trip to Tehipite Valley from Roads End North over the pass, and then out the bottom of the canyon off trail in September.

- I made an alternative itinerary [url]https://caltopo.com/m/U7RL[/url ]going from Rancheria. Almost same distance total, I wouldn't get to see Red Mountain basin...Would this be any less buggy heading in?

Thanks for all the good data, you can see my map is shaping up. Im excited to do this trip, even if it's later in the year next season.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Pretty sure it's just gonna be buggy. I'm going into the alpine in Sequoia NP the week after trail crew, myself. I anticipate there will be plenty of bugs with all the tarns up there but hoping it continues to freeze at night above 10k.

I'd go through Tehipite - I'd originally planned to, actually - if not committed to other people to do what I'm doing. The trail through Tehipite was maintained late last year. But, consider there is no bridge over the river, and the creek crossings in Tehipite are potentially higher than they would be in fall.
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

I ended up doing a different trip, but am planning on doing this next year, thanks for the info. I will post a trip report of the trip I did.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

Did you do this trip last year?
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

I didn't, no.