GC Tuolumne, 5/31-6/3/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: GC Tuolumne, 5/31-6/3

Post by rlown »

The mule trail was pretty easy to find in 2008 and heavily used then. As Paula pointed out, it does seem like a series of meadows until you hit a saddle with my route to Virginia to the right and my "cut" down to the left. The mule trail then hits a little forest and the trail winds up and over and down into the mattie basin. Once over that little saddle, you can see Wildcat point and you know where you are then.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for your replies. I am going to try for Mattie. I think the trail has cairns marking it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Paula,

If you do go to mattie, please take a picture of the lake at dawn and dusk. I kind of need to know if the lake is still kind of stunted (fish.) If there are a lot of rises, it leans one way, and if there are no rises, it might lean the other way.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

I will.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I find getting good color shots in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne difficult, because of the dark rock and steep canyon walls. So I finally got to processing a few into black and white. I thought these below portrayed the "mood" of the canyon well.
01_8292_TuolumneMeadows_B&W.jpg
02_8125_Above Glen Aulin_B&W.jpg
03_8127_Tuolumne Falls_B&W_edited-1.jpg
05_8281_White Cascade_B&W.jpg
06_8278-79_Glen Aulin_B&W.jpg
07_8138Falls_FromMattie_B&W.jpg
10_8250-52_B&W_Camp3.jpg
11_8146_CaliforniaFalls_B&W.jpg
12_8237-38_CaliforniaFalls_B&W.jpg
09_8243-44_Camp 3_B&W.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I did not get photos of LeConte Falls. Both on the way down and back the lighting was not good. So here are photos of Waterwheel Falls and below, down to about a mile above Pate Valley, where I turned around. Note that some photos were taken on the trip down, and some on the trip up.
13_8166-7_Waterwheel Falls_B&W.jpg
14_8162_Waterwheel Falls_B&W_edited-1.jpg
15_8172_Waterwheel_B&W_edited-1.jpg
16_8159_Waterwheel Falls_B&W.jpg
17_8219-20_River Mile137_B&W.jpg
18_8219-20_Muir Gorge trail view_B&W_edited-1 (1).jpg
19_8200_Falls by camp.jpg
20_8194_abovePateV_B&W.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting.
-Phil
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am becoming quite fond of B&W photos. Should I shoot in B&W or convert the photo to B&W when processing? Not sure, but I thought shooting in B&W gives more signal to each pixel because the light does not have to be split between colors, and that results in better B&W photos. However when I processed color photos, I was able to lighten or darken or change saturation for each individual color, which was quite helpful.

Also, is it just me (average photographer with point and shoot camera) or is Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and moving water hard to photograph? It is hard to get a bad photo in Yosemite Valley; but hard to get a good photo in Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne! Why? Many shots in GCT are muddy colors and too much contrast. By the way, this time I did not shoot RAW, which I probably should have. Alas, good or bad, the camera (Canon S95) that I shot these photos was lost later this summer, so I now have to get a new camera.
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

I hiked the GC of the Tuolumne a few years back after a very dry winter in mid July. It was about 90 degrees on the river and about 75 at White Wolf. We started at WW and went up stream. It was the uphill route and we only ran into 4 people at Pate Valley coming down. We spent Two nights on the river and my hiking partner became ill so we hustled on the 3 day out to TM. Didn't enjoy it as much as we should have.