Haeckel Col for Beginners?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Haeckel Col for Beginners?

Post by notis »

Oh! I'm not going to Sabrina in August, I don't think. I actually don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in this year at all (everything permitting, of course). I will be going over Lamarck Col in August, but I don't really think I'll have the time to check out the Darwin side of Darwin Col then :-k I put up some pics of Darwin Col from afar last year, but it was really just a conditions report. Nothing that would help anyone make a route decision, I don't think.

Edit: I get why you asked me about August now. I think you meant to reply to @Bishop_Bob .
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

rjsanto,

You note, "now I am conflicted Haeckel vs Echo."

An old friend, the late Bob Rockwell, compiled a nice TR of a hike into the Evolution area with Darryl Hinman in early Fall 2009. They went in over Hungry Packer Pass (aka Haeckel Col) and exited over Echo Col. There are many photos in the TR devoted to negotiating these two passes. The photos are at flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/albums/72157622367474809. Maybe they can be useful to you.

I have no experience going that way. Lamarck Col is uncomplicated and works for me.

Have a good hike.

Jim
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I've gone each direction through Echo Col.

Going from the east, getting up to the col is normal. Once through the col, you have to downclimb a long way through big steep talus, so be prepared to take off backpacks and hand them down on each step.

Going from the west, getting up to the col requires some navigation. Climbing up over the big steep talus is not super difficult as long as you are not in a big hurry. Once through the col, downclimbing is normal.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Moonwalker »

rjszanto wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 am Although, now I am conflicted Haeckel vs Echo :). I see comments that Echo is more exposed than Haeckel but if Haeckel is like Wallace then the loose scree makes it more perilous, is that the gist?
The danger of a loose col like Wallace (and Haeckel?) is that you might decide/need to trust a big rock, and find to your dismay that it is sitting on powder, waiting for the slightest nudge to set it free, and now you are careening down the hill like an avenger, in a huge pile of rock and dust, headed for the precipice below. On Echo you are more exposed, but the route is well-traveled and reliable. You may be sceered, but objectively it is not as dangerous if you are careful.
rjszanto
Topix Novice

Post by rjszanto »

Thanks all for the inputs. Very helpful for trip planning.