Must do dayhikes in Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

AfterSeven wrote:that tells me your group has a bit of spare energy. Here goes:
All of the following are good day hike peaks:

Mt. Dana
Mt. Hoffman
The Matterhorn *
Cathedral Peak **
Unicorn Peak **
North Peak *
Mt. Conness *
Ragged Peak *
I garuntee that any group that can get up Half Dome in a Day can do any of these peaks in a day....(A single star means it's probably scary for the average guy, and 2 stars means its definitely scary for the average guy.) Climbers guide to the High Sierra tells you all you need to know....

Also if you can do Half Dome in a Day, consider going from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley on the John Muir Trail...it's 24+ miles....but it's all 90% downhill. Park a car at the bottom and drive to the top for your day hike....it will take a full day.
Good luck.
That is indeed a nice list of peaks. Here are a few additional comments. based on both climber's guides (Roper and Secor) and personal experience:
Dana, Class 1, unofficial use trail, 3000' of gain but short distance, second highest peak in Yosemite. A must do in my estimation (as noted earlier).
Hoffman, Class 2, use trail much of the way, less than 2000' gain (?) and short distance. Minor scrambling just below summit but no exposure (possibility of damaging fall). Also on my must do list, although one may opt for the unconventional alternative and do Tuolumne Peak instead (see below).
Matterhorn, Class 2. No more difficult than Hoffman (in terms of exposure or scare factor) if correct route is taken. Rather tedious treadmill scree (loose small rocks one step up two-thirds step slide down) on final approach. That is one of my unfavorite scree slopes of all time. A very long dayhike which necessitates driving all the way from south Park entrance to Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport, then doing a hike with 5200' of elevation gain. This is one of the finest summits of northern Yosemite, though.
Cathedral Peak, Class 4. Ropes (belay) required for nearly everyone.
Unicorn Peak, Class 4. As above. Both of these are very rugged and impressive peaks and short hikes. Climbers must have experienced in actual rock climbing, however.
North Peak, Class 2. Beautiful peak from Saddlebag Lake and no exposure at all encountered on climb of correct route. This is a walk up and a gorgeous one. Some talus blocks and scree (about the level of Mt. Hofffman or easier except that this is a bit longer) About 2200' of gain. Highly recommended.
Mt Conness, Class 2+. The king of Saddlebag country. For dayhike best done from Saddlebag Lake. There is a class 2 to low class 3 route that goes up the south side of the east ridge. This is a pretty long route that involves some route finding skills to keep this at class 2 as well as not doing any unpleasant sidehilling. This route joins the standard route (from Young Lakes--too long for practical dayhike) on the south ridge that is rated class 2 but has some pretty impressive air on a knife edge ridge and some ledges that surmount the summit "castle". Although this is well engineered as an unofficial trail (who on Earth placed some of those slabs there?), I have seen this exposure turn back several would be climbers. From Saddlebag this is a somewhat elaborate but very fun and varied route. This is my favorite peak in all of the Tioga Pass area (I really enjoy the route), including Dana.
Ragged Peak, Class 1 except for spectacular summit block (class 3). This is a nice looking peak with a summit that is worthy of the name (looks like the crest of a rooster). You can pretty walk up sand to the summit rocks, where the scrambling begins. However, the last few moves are supremely airy and not for the acrophobic.

I'd certainly add Cloud's Rest to the top dayhike list as it is perfectly practical as a long dayhike (all trail) from Tenaya Lake and one of the classic views of the Park.

Honorable mention:
Shepherd's Crest, Class 2 with correct route. Another beautiful Saddlebag area peak. Some unpleasant loose metamorphic talus if one is not on the optimal route.
Tioga Peak. Class 1 or 2. Very easy and a superb view down Lee Vining Canyon. Gardisky Lake encountered en route is a very nice place, too.
Tuolumne Peak. Class 2. An easy set of big broad ramps (no exposure) along with talus and sand breaches what appear from the distance as well defended walls. This is the neglected "brother" peak to Hoffman. This one has almost all the advantages of Hoffman without the crowds. Just a hair longer hike than Hoffman from May Lake.
Tenaya Peak Class 1 or 2. Gorgeous view and an easy walk up.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Aviprk »

Thanks guys, but looks like we will stay at the southern terminus of the park (neary Wawona) and going over Tioga Rd all the way to the TH's past Tioga Pass is kind of out of the question. If we do go it has to be somewhere at max up to Tenaya lake.