SHR vs JMT Mileage Q

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: SHR vs JMT Mileage Q

Post by longri »

commonloon wrote:PRs? :-k
Is that short for personal records?

I was just looking for a comparison for you specifically since you seem to be out of the norm. But maybe you haven't done both routes as fast trips.

I know how far I can walk in a day from any point on the JMT. It doesn't matter where I start. The SHR is more variable. But I doubt I that I would be able to find any single continuous segment on the SHR that I could do in a day that is as long as what I can walk from any point on the JMT in a day.

So I'm curious if you have a similar comparison. Some section of the JMT vs some section of the SHR, both of which you have done (or are very confident that you could do) in a day.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR vs JMT Mileage Q

Post by stevet »

Matthewkphx wrote:I think my estimate is probably ballpark accurate at maybe 50% of my normal mileage.
That is my experience, roughly SHR pace is roughly 1/2 my JMT pace. Daily mileage dependent on # hours you hike.