North Lake Campground Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: North Lake Campground Question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It may take longer than expected to hitch from South Lake to North Lake on a late Monday afternoon. Fairly easy to get a ride down to the junction. Harder to get a ride actually up to North Lake TH. Worst case, there are several campgrounds down by the road junction if you get caught in dark and no ride to North Lake. There now is a shuttle bus from Bishop to South Lake. Anyone know if it goes to North Lake?

Have you considered driving first to North Lake to get a more reliable start and then hike all the way to Loch Leven on Day 1? Save the hitch for the return, when it is not so critical. Even if out of food, there is a restaurant/store a bit down the road from South Lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Anyone know if it goes to North Lake?
No, but it does go to Sabrina.
https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedu ... k-shuttle/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I was trying to do that same hitchhike a few years ago. I parked my car near North Lake, and after a few days I came out at South Lake. I had a sign printed on the back of my paper topo map that said RIDE?, and I stood on the driver's side of the road leaving the parking lot. I waited and waited and smiled at each driver. Nothing! After several hours, I got one ride down to the junction. Then the process started again. Finally I gave up and started walking up the hill. Soon I got another ride up to the North Lake turnoff. I started walking again and hoofed it all the way up to my car. It's certainly not ideal, but it is survivable.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Snippets off the estransit.com page maverick linked to.

FARES
The one-way adult fare for the Bishop Creek Shuttle is $5.00. Discount fare for youth (ages 5 – 16), senior (60+) and disabled passengers is $2.50. A 10-ride pass may be purchased for a 10% discount ($45 for adult, $22.50 for discount).

Bishop Creek Shuttle Schedule
Morning Run Afternoon Run
Bishop (Vons/Kmart) 8:00am 4:00pm
South Lake 8:45am 4:45pm
Lake Sabrina 9:10am 5:10pm
Bishop (arrive) 9:30am 5:45pm
--------------------------------
Great for we backpackers that such a transportation service has finally been set up. Hope it does enough business to remain viable. With the increased numbers of thru trail users, this is sorely needed. And will be great for Bishop businesses as many on the trails will now plan this into their itinerary. None of us want to get stuck at remote trailheads hoping to hitch rides that in this era many people are not surprisingly afraid of taking chances offering rides to unknown men. (I gave a ride to a Santa Cruz twentysomething gal last summer, North Lake to Sabrina parking because have no concerns over unknown women.

also
http://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/
http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html
Syrio
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Syrio »

Wow thanks for providing that link to the shuttle. Seems like best option will be to camp in whatever campground I find open the day before, then link up with the shuttle the morning my trip starts at the South Lake stop, take it to Sabrina, then just walk up the road from there.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Another choice backpackers will have with this new shuttle service is to park their vehicles at a safe location in Bishop and then take the shuttle up to Bishop Creek trailheads and the reverse returning.