TR Cottonwood Lakes 5/11/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Cottonwood Lakes 5/11/18

Post by Dmasten »

I went up to Cottonwood Lakes on Friday. Only a couple of cars at the trailhead and didn't see anyone until I was nearly back to the trailhead. Started out by heading up to Muir Lake. The trail was dry and only a couple of very small patches of snow until I got to the Cottonwood Lakes basin. I noticed a lot of non-native ducks on the Muir Lake trail :mad:. While I've been to the area many times over the years, there were a few spots I have not seen. Muir Lake was one of those. It is a nice little lake.

My next goal was to head up to lakes 4 & 5. The trail alternated between snow patches, mud, and some short dry sections. But the scenery is epic.

As the trail starts heading up away from lake 3 towards lakes 4 & 5, a steep patch of snow blocked the way. I decided I wasn't prepared to cross it, and started heading back. Lake 3 was mostly melted out, but still had some ice near its outlet.

Next planned stop was Long Lake. I followed Lake 3 to the meadow swamp between lakes 1 & 2

I then followed the New Army Pass trail towards Long Lake. By this time the snow patches were getting to me, both psychologically and physically!

I stopped for a rest break and turned around well shy of Long Lake. With views like this, my spirits were soon lifted again.

My next goal was South Fork and Cirque Lakes. Travel to South Fork Lakes was straightforward with minimal snow patch crossings.

Next I tried going to Cirque Lake, but as I neared the ridge between South Fork and Cirque lakes, I realized I was missing my hat! And the snow patches on the trail were getting tiresome again. Boots, knee-high stiff gaiters, and pants are desirable in such conditions. I quickly went back to where I took my rest break, found my hat right where I left it and went back to the South Fork Lakes outlet.

I headed down the use/old trail following the outlet stream.
From there back to my car. Even with the difficult conditions, I had a great visit. 5 stars, highly recommended!
robo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Cottonwood Lakes 5/11/18

Post by robo »

Thanks for sharing your report!

What is the deal with the ducks??
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Thanks for the TR. I've been wanting to go back to this area for a long time. Then over Army or new Army up to Miter Basin.
Dmasten
Topix Novice

Post by Dmasten »

robo wrote: What is the deal with the ducks??
I don't know, there were unnatural piles of rocks every 10' or so along the trail. The trail could use a bit of love, but it wasn't hard to follow.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

Looks good. I'm going to be staying a SF Lake for the trout opener on July 1!

I left my hat on the trail from Cottonwood to SF Lakes. We were in bad shape, having sucked smokey air in the whole way up from western fires and I realized I left it at the split to #1 and #2 and SF Lake. Had to backtrack and return all the way to SF Lake, thought I would die from foul air poisoning, a brutal experience. Don't hike in smoky conditions, no bueno para su salud!!!!

John
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Wow - a lot lighter snow year than I'd imagined.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

John Harper wrote:Looks good. I'm going to be staying a SF Lake for the trout opener on July 1!
Having stayed SF Lake 3 X now...pretty and convenient, but never saw a fish.
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

markskor wrote:
John Harper wrote:Looks good. I'm going to be staying a SF Lake for the trout opener on July 1!
Having stayed SF Lake 3 X now...pretty and convenient, but never saw a fish.
I've had quite good luck there. PA, Sierra Bright Dot, Griffith's gnat, blue damselfly all have worked.

That lake has plenty of fish, never been skunked yet. Nothing big, but lots of action. It was tough fishing for our group last year. The year before was epic. This year? We'll see.

John