Kearsarge Pass to Little Pothole Lake with kids?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
phonewentwest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Kearsarge Pass to Little Pothole Lake with kids?

Post by phonewentwest »

Anyone with experience on Kearsarge Pass Trail willing to offer an opinion about whether my 6 and 8 year old nephews could make the hike to Little Pothole Lake? They're eager and active, but I'm still unsure.

My hope would be that once they got to LPL they would be excited and want to go a little further to Gilbert.

Thanks!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Kearsarge Pass to Little Pothole Lake with kids?

Post by zacjust32 »

I would wait until there's no snow on the trail. My calculations show 1.5 miles and 850 feet of elevation. If you can get them out there I'd say go for it! I haven't done that hike but at that age I was hiking with my uncle to Weaver lake which was 2 miles and 870 feet of elevation. Kids love lakes and once you get them there all the work will have paid off and (hopefully) they'll be hooked. Just don't expect to go too fast, but I would let them carry their own water or small backpack to make them feel self-sufficient. If you really want to be the cool uncle take fishing poles and let them fish (if there are fish in those lakes, no idea).
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by oddtiger »

As long as they are distracted constantly, by bugs, rocks, flowers, it should be fine. My daughters (2-yr and 4-yr-old) did a 3-mile hikes last summer at similar elevation. Oh, don't forget their favorite snacks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

They will go farther if you do not load them down too much. Go slow and watch out for altitude sickness. Lots of options- perhaps as far as the lake where there is a trail junction to Matlock Lake. (am traveling and do not have my maps - do not remember the name of that lake. There is good camping across the little bridge, and from there Matlock Lakes are a nice day-hike.

I think South Lake to Long Lake is another option. More solitude at the little lakes on the trail that heads to Chocolate Lake.

I do not think campfires are allowed at either. Gathering wood and building a fire is a real good kids activity. If you want a fire, you may have to call Inyo Forest and see if they have any suggestions.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, pre-adolescent kids are more susceptible to altitude illnesses. One good step would be to camp them overnight at Onion Valley. Then start them up the trail, and figure out some kind of counting game for them to play so that you can control their trail speed. You really want them to go slow and steady up that trail.
phonewentwest
Topix Novice

Post by phonewentwest »

These are great tips. I can't thank you all enough.

I'll pack a small fishing pole and bring their favorite snacks, and I'll ask/ look around for fun games to play while hiking on the trail. I know they enjoy looking for lizards... Wonder if there's a hiking bug/ flower/ tree/ animal game similar to the road-trip Licence Plate Game?

If I find something I'll post and let you all know.
phonewentwest
Topix Novice

Post by phonewentwest »

Based on the above suggestions, I spent a little time looking around online for games to pass time with kids on trail. Here's the best of what I've found:

"Close-Ups"
Have someone with a camera or smartphone walk ahead on the trail and take a macro—or super close-up—shot of an object along the trail: a mushroom, a knot in a tree, a crack in a rock. The close-up should focus on part of the object rather than the whole thing. (If you take a picture of the entire object, it will be too easy to find!) When the rest of the group catches up to the photographer, define a small 10-by-10-foot area—and then it’s a race to see who can find the object first. It takes just minutes to play, but the fascination of finding hidden objects in the woods makes it fun and keeps you moving!

"Hiking Trail Bingo" or "Hiking Scavenger Hunt"

"Spot the Alphabet"
This is great for kids who are learning their alphabet. Starting with the letter “A,” everyone has to find something along the trail that begins with “A” before moving through the rest of the alphabet.

"Fit on a Penny"
For this game, give each kid a penny. They have 10 minutes to find as many things as possible that will fit on the penny. Remind the kids that they should only pick up things that are on the ground.

"Insect Hike"
Each kid has a camera (bring old smartphones). The kids take as many pictures of different insects as possible.

"Sharp Eyes"
Stand opposite your partner. Take a close look at what each of you is wearing. Be sure not to miss any details. Look so closely that if anything were to change you would notice it! Then, turn away from each other and each change ONE thing about your dress (roll up a cuff, move a ring, undo a shoelace, etc). Now, turn back, and your partner has to find out what has changed. If they can’t, give them a clue. When you feel your detective skills are honed, set off to explore the natural world.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
- Jackie Robinson
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Make sure that every little kid has a pack to wear. Now, it should not be heavy at all, because you do not want to exhaust them. Something around 20%-25% of body weight is a target. Every kid can carry a water bottle and jacket. It makes them feel like they are part of the group. Some kids need to carry their stuffed animal.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

bobby49 wrote: Some kids need to carry their stuffed animal.
you say that as if that comes with some kind of age limit! [-X :p
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

bobby49 wrote:
Make sure that every little kid has a pack to wear. Now, it should not be heavy at all, because you do not want to exhaust them.
And Daisy says:
They will go farther if you do not load them down too much.
I don't know about that- our practice has long been to over-pack the kids at a very young age. This will increase their portering capabilities, and it immediately serves our desire to carry less ourselves. Here's our young porter- and son- carrying about 90% of his weight. :nod:
IMG_6338.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.