Tuolumne River foot bridge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne River foot bridge

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Very few on weekday; crowded weekends. Glen Aulin camp is now open. Most stay there and then just day-hike to the falls. What surprised me is that there are fish in the Glen Aulin valley; several guys were fishing. I camped at the top of Waterwheel and at the top of California Falls (on return). The comfortable sites are within sight of the trail but if you are OK with marginal sites, and hunt around you can find secluded sites. Almost all the established campsites are technically illegal, but only a few near Glen Aulin camp are signed as "restoration sites". There really is not a lot of choice of sites that are both the legal distance from water and the trail. The sites just at the top of the falls tend to be windy, which is good to keep the bugs down. Drop below Waterwheel Falls and there are few if any people.

Not saying that there are not good falls below Waterwheel, but more on the canyon walls, like Cathedral Creek. You have to have a tolerance for a bit of misery below Return Creek bridge. The trail is in poor shape. Rattlesnakes. Lots of bugs of all kinds. Be sure to have an enclosed bug-proof tent even if you do not need a tent fly. Ants are bad- be careful where you sit!

I did this trip years ago in August, with my daughter. Although the falls are subdued, it is a nice time to go because you can slowly go up the river, swim in beautiful pools (or fish) every hour or so, and bugs are also more subdued. I really enjoyed that trip as much as the big water flow times.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I really appreciate everyone's input and it seems like others are still gaining some benefits. I was fortunate enough to be able to reserve permits for Mono Pass. Thanks' again.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Smoyf
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Smoyf »

Any updates on the condition of the bridge? We have permits for this Friday. If it's akin to traversing a log we might go through with it. Hearing mixed reports right now. Have they completely closed the bridge or is it just "inadvisable" to cross?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If you think about how much of a battering that bridge has been through in the past two melt outs, and see that it is a couple of boards and you can't tell what condition the supports are in, and you think it's all good, you are more than welcome to try it - I ain't putting a foot on that bridge til it's fixed. Nor would I play Russian roulette, spit into the wind, pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, or tug on Superman's cape.

They say they will fix it this summer. Typical work season for federal lands in the Sierra is late June - September. It's not going to be fixed yet, and it may be torn out completely as that's what they've had time to do so far.