Tuolumne River foot bridge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne River foot bridge

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Pate Valley is nice, as is the Muir Gorge area, but the highlights are from Waterwheel Falls and up.
The Muir Gorge itself is a worthwhile destination on its own. Pate Valley, on the other hand, can be hot, sticky and super buggy. Just heading to Waterwheel Falls and back is short enough to do as a day hike... which is one reason I think people do the whole circuit. It makes it more of a trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The Muir Gorge itself is a worthwhile destination on its own. Pate Valley, on the other hand, can be hot, sticky and super buggy. Just heading to Waterwheel Falls and back is short enough to do as a day hike... which is one reason I think people do the whole circuit. It makes it more of a trip.
I like the Gorge. If one wants extend there stay around Waterwheel Falls, just climb the ridge before California Falls and stay at Mattie Lake, the views from Wildcat Point are sublime. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rgliebe
Topix Acquainted

Post by rgliebe »

I crossed the Tuolumne River in Pate Valley with two friends when bridge was totally out in the 1990s when we were in college. We heard a similar story about how it would be fixed during the summer, but when we saw it only the concrete ramps on both sides had been poured. It was in mid August of a normal year, so the water level was probably a little lower than what you would encounter this year in early July. The place we crossed was where the river was widest and shallowest about 0.2 miles upstream of the bridge near a nice spot to camp, but the water still went up to nearly my waist in the middle of the river. The rocks in the riverbed are small and well polished, making for a very slippery surface. A walking stick is an absolute requirement for success, so you can plant it in between rocks and put your weight on it. I also wore my boots across for maximum traction. There were thick trees and brush on the White Wolf side of the river to hack through after we got across. The biggest problem was the current, which was still strong enough that I couldn't swim upstream in the river and not be taken downstream. If anyone fell into the current, we would have had to jettison our packs and swim for shore as quickly as possible, since there are big rocks sticking out of the river near the bridge and below as the river narrows and picks up speed. Even though we all got across safely, and another group did as well, I do not recommend it. It remains to this day the hardest crossing I have ever done.

I personally do not care much for Pate Valley, as it is one of the hottest spots in the park (same elevation as the valley floor or Hetch Hetchy), loaded with snakes, and many are rattlers. We even had a snake swim by us in the river as we were crossing it! As someone mentioned earlier, climbing out of this valley unless you go back up the river is strenuous, picking up nearly 2000 feet fairly quickly. Think of taking the trail to the top of Yosemite Falls or Glacier Point from the valley with a full pack, and that's about how tough it is.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks for your input rgliebe, much appreciated.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

Here's the bridge in 2016, late July, a low water year. We could have waded it then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Memento Mori
Topix Novice

Post by Memento Mori »

I have a permit for white wolf to Tuolumne for early September. It appears from this post that the river can be waded across at this point if the bridge isn’t repaired by Labor Day. Is that a fair assessment?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Memento Mori wrote:I have a permit for white wolf to Tuolumne for early September. It appears from this post that the river can be waded across at this point if the bridge isn’t repaired by Labor Day. Is that a fair assessment?
No, the river MIGHT be wade-able in September. These things depend also upon the person who's undertaking the wading -- there are hikers who just plow through the water trusting to luck, and then there are those who are willing to walk up and down, assess the options, and choose the route carefully to avoid riskier places. And upon this assessment they might find no safe place, then turn around and hike back up to the way they came, instead of caving in to the resolute determination to move forward as planned, despite radically increasing the risk to their group.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

As of right now, crossing the bridge is not recommended, but it isn't closed. It's specifically mentioned here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

Here's what it says: "The Glen Aulin trail is snow free, but the bridge to the Glen Aulin Backpackers Camp is no longer there. Visitors should expect to wade Conness Creek, which is flowing moderately and up to 2’ deep. The bridge which crosses the Tuolumne River at Pate Valley has sustained structural damaged and is not a recommended crossing. Expect flooding and muddy conditions."

If flows are high, risk the bridge, but if fording, my opinion is that where it widens out not far downstream of the bridge is the best place.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just got back from the GC Tuolumne in-and-out from the top. I turned around 1.5 miles upstream from Pate Valley, but given the flows where I stopped, there is NO WAY anyone is going to cross that creek now. I talked to three fellows who crossed the broken bridge, and they said it was not bad (they also said there is no way they would cross at the bridge). No rails, and broken foot slats. Although not nearly as hard as walking a log, it is 100% fall and you die. One trip-up and you are gone.

The drop down from White Wolf is brutal and in my opinion, not that scenic and Pate Valley is not that great. I did my in-and-out in 4 days, including driving 4 hours to and from. The part from Return Creek bridge to Tuolumne Meadows is the most scenic part with respect to waterfalls. The lower section nearer to Pate Valley is scenic with respect to the canyon walls. I hope to get a trip report done in the next few days.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Wandering Daisy wrote: The part from Return Creek bridge to Tuolumne Meadows is the most scenic part with respect to waterfalls.
How were the crowds down by Waterwheel and La Conte?