Close call creek crossings

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Close call creek crossings

Post by cloudlesssky »

Bad things can happen in innocuous places. My wife and I were day hiking with another couple near Cottonwood lakes many years ago. Everyone had reasonable fitness levels and we were having a good time. It was a summer afternoon and a bit warm in the sun. We were hopping across a stream when one of the other couple slipped, fell and fully immersed in the stream. She went into cold shock. Difficulty breathing, racing hart rate, and totally disoriented. From fun day to terrifying situation in about 30 seconds. Fortunately she didn't have a stroke or heart attack. We got her stabilized and eventually were able to hike out. Very sudden and scary. I didn't know something like that was possible.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

cloudlesssky wrote:Bad things can happen in innocuous places. My wife and I were day hiking with another couple near Cottonwood lakes many years ago. Everyone had reasonable fitness levels and we were having a good time. It was a summer afternoon and a bit warm in the sun. We were hopping across a stream when one of the other couple slipped, fell and fully immersed in the stream. She went into cold shock. Difficulty breathing, racing hart rate, and totally disoriented. From fun day to terrifying situation in about 30 seconds. Fortunately she didn't have a stroke or heart attack. We got her stabilized and eventually were able to hike out. Very sudden and scary. I didn't know something like that was possible.
A prime example for backpackers to occasionally get into cold water beyond just wading fords so they can understand how debilitating it can be if they do have an accident. Heck its part of the high country environment to be experienced. Instead the majority of our high country visitors where summer stream and lake temperatures are often cold, never get in water beyond shin deep when fording streams. Instead they are out days to a week sweating on dusty trails getting dirtier, grimier, stickier, smellier, each day. Oh how fun too getting the inside of that $300 goose down sleeping bag grubby enjoying feeling itchy trying to go to sleep.

So am I suggesting people go swimming? Not at all. How fast can a person get into water quickly, totally immerse and jump back out? It takes less than 10 seconds folks. No mr&mrs wimpy you won't die from being in cold water so briefly because it takes more time for the cold to conduct down into your body. Yes your skin will feel cold but decreasingly for a minute or two sans clothes but then you will feel a whole lot cleaner. Also no you really don't need to wash with soap or rub all over your dirty spots to get most grime off instantly. And per this thread over doing so numbers of times gain some insight into how debilitating different cold water temperatures can be. So then when that day comes when a group needs to wade a larger stream at waist depth, you are going to have a much better understanding of what you are getting into especially if someone falls in and others then need to jump in to help them without becoming victims themselves.

Oh and go do so at places where after getting out you can lay down midday on a nice warm boulder or bedrock. And for you modest folks like this person, that is a reason to bring long some beach clothing you can readily get into waters with without being embarrassed.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I've had the crocs ripped off by the current twice. (Slow learner) If the water isn't strong enough to do that - it's probably not dangerous. It sucks soaking your boots but I think it's much safer - giving you a much more stable foundation than otherwise. Of course if you end up swimming ankle weights aren't optimal.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

SSSdave, couldn't agree with you more. After the yicky feeling of being covered with sweat, it's the exhilarating feeling you get when swimming in cold water. I've also poured cold water over myself until I was clean. A great way to end the day.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Water socks! Mine weigh only 3 ounces. They give me enough traction and support over wet stream rocks. My boots stay dry tied around the top of my backpack. Plus, it gives my feet a good wash.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

My toughest crossing I had to do twice because my partners couldn't cross it. It was probably for the best in the long run. It was not swift, but chest deep. When you are that deep even a slight current is difficult.

Another was actually a log crossing.... a bouncing log crossing over a cascading creek. Despite the bouncing I crossed and didn't think much of it. Then ahead I had to turn around because of a flooded meadow. When I got back to the crossing I was shocked. The crossing was absolutely insane and I had no idea how or why I did it the first time. I had to buchwack/scramble up the cascading creek to find another way.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

SSSDave, I love getting in the water. The absolute shock is wonderful for your sore muscles too. It is also wonderful for your mind. Jumping in hits the reset button on your mood. No one is grumpy while laying on a granite slab in the sunshine after climbing out of icy water.
Dwwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by Dwwd »

Of course, one can always slip and fall on slimy or wobbly rocks, or off the edge of a log bridge, regardless of how deep is the water. Ouch! ! Do not watch the fish or scenery. Keep focused, know, and do not exceed your personal limits. However, when wading in serious fast or deep water, I recommend 4 points of contact, 2 poles and 2 feet. Then you can move one forward while remaining stable with the other three. I normally only hike with one trekking pole. So with a friend, we throw a 2nd trekking pole back and forth across the creek or look for a stout tree branch. Secondly, I do not like hiking in my cross-country boots with wet feet. I tried crocs for crossing streams. But after a quick step to regain my balance on a fast water crossing, I received a one inch gash on my ankle against a hidden boulder. It was very difficult to stop the bleeding. So I switched to thick soled, scuba diving boots that protect my feet and ankles. Yes, they weight slightly more, but I have noticed my feet "feel" warmer in snow melt water. Plus the scuba boots work well for wet wading with a fly rod while searching for that always elusive, large mountain trout.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I probably have too much confidence around rivers after spending so much time in and around them.

One of the more memorable experiences was when I was fishing up Boulder Creek (just past Boyden Cavern on the way to Kings Canyon) by myself on a Summer afternoon. Several hours in and quite a ways up the bedrock pool-drop river some dark clouds moved in. I figured I'd start heading down and then the sky opened and it started pouring.

Much of the traveling along Boulder Creek is slowly traversing slick bedrock along the pools and above many small waterfalls. I counted at the time, but forget now, how many times I went into the river unintentionally. Hours of sliding off short drops into swirling pools with the water getting higher and higher as it rained made me a little more nervous about fishing technical rivers solo.

I can still picture one of the spots I went careening down the granite and dropped into a pool with vertical sides and no easy way out. I had to stay in the river through some short and cold rapids to find a way up and out.

I caught a lot of fish though!