Are Canisters Required In the Miter Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Are Canisters Required In the Miter Basin?

Post by bob adams »

I plan on taking a trip from Horseshoe Meadows over Cottonwood Pass to the Miter Basin. Exit via Army Pass. Sure would be nice to not lug a canister.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Are Canisters Required In the Miter Basin?

Post by rlown »

Maybe. Well, the page says they are: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... &actid=104
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

To get there you probably have to enter from a trailhead that requires you to carry a canister. Or, buy an Ursack instead.

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Containers are required in the Dusy Basin, Rae Lakes Loop, North Dome and Rock Creek areas from May 1 through October 31. Be aware of these areas boundary descriptions and their locations on a map. Surrounding areas within Inyo National Forest may also have container required areas. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Food Storage Guidance.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm
Click on this link, then scroll down to the above sentence, click on "boundary descriptions", and you will see that bear canisters are required in Miter Basin, from 5/1 - 10/31.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Thanks to all!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

I looked at the map next to the boundary description. It is from summer 2015 so the bear box locations may no longer be accurate.