Taboose 4/20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Taboose 4/20

Post by jenreyn »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let peeps know the road going to the TH for Taboose has gotten much much worse from the spring rains. We may have been able to get up there in a passenger car previously, however as of now its looking less likely or by the skin of your teeth without a blown sidewall or worse. There is even a culvert that has been exposed further up the road and it looks like water has washed most dirt away exposing just rocks in many stretches. Even in the Tacoma it wasn't pleasant.

I hiked to about 9800ft and turned around due to time, however I probably could have continued to the pass in my trail runners since the trail is mainly on that southern aspect up high. Only a patch of snow here and there but not a lot to speak of. Just FYI.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose 4/20

Post by Hobbes »

Hey Jen, say hi to Ryan for me. How are the passes in Mammoth (Duck, Minaret Vista, etc)?

Honey B[adger] aka BlueWater and I are thinking of shooting up 5/5 for a Whitney (main trail) hike. OTOH, we're also considering Taboose and/or Bishop. We're looking for snow, but keeping options open if a storm happens to roll in.

I picked this up last month, so I'm looking for an excuse to use it; Taboose sounds perfect:

jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

Hi Hobbes,

There is significantly more snow the further north you go. Def snow here in Mammoth above 9000ft, just that the rain event we had did a number on any low snow and the shallow snowpack in lower elevations. Also, it can be very aspect dependent due to the more shallow snowpack. In fact, I had friends just hike up Mountaineers Route last week and come down the trail for fun. There is still snow up high on Whitney, however from looking at aerial pictures, the snow is generally more sparse or shallower Shepherds Pass/ Wales and Wrights Lakes Basin, etc... I have friends who hiked in Taboose two days ago to ski in Upper Basin and I went up yesterday to scope for a potential ski tour with Ryan next week. It looks like skis on your back to almost the top of the pass though, which I don't think I could convince Ryan to do. I'm waiting to see pictures from their trip when they come out Sunday and I'll have more info for you.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Thanx. The Whitney cam still shows snow on Thor, so at least Iceberg and the MR still have snow. I was sort of thinking of this past week, but the wind/temp forecast seemed pretty cold. Just need a bulge of high pressure to move in to spike temps.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

A PCT hiker has already made it through the Sierra to Bishop pass. He posted some photos here:

https://vsco.co/momo41/images/1

They images aren't labeled, but most places are easy to recognize, including Chicken Spring, Whitney, Rae, Upper Basin & LeConte. Here's his IG account expressing some sentiments. Personally, I tend to agree with him; getting out early is really quite special. However, the larger issue is that as both skills and equipment (eg 'lightweight' 900FP 0 degree bags) improve, perhaps more will head out not only to experience spring conditions, but to avoid summer crowds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh5NpP5gXxp ... -by=momo41_
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

It looks pretty cold up there right now. :) I can't wait until it's summer.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

A fairly large number of people started the PCT this year in March. This is putting them on track to hit the Sierra in May vs the traditional April start, Sierra in June schedule. (That being said, it looks like the 50 hikers/day PCT quota is being met in April as well, which suggests while more people are hiking the trail, the overload is moving up earlier in the year.)

Part of this may be due to demand, but another consideration could be the experiences from last year. Because of the heavy snowfall, the bulk of people hitting in June experienced conditions similar to a 'normal' May. So, while there were some mishaps/fatalities, the vast number who attempted the Sierra in snow got through. If the last year's class got through in 'May like' conditions, then it holds to reason that this year's group should be able to make it through in a dry May. (Everything being relative.)

What this suggests to me is a couple of things: (a) It's becoming more widely known that it's actually safer to cross during high snow levels - as long as it's consolidated - before the melt-off begins. (b) Gear has dramatically improved - lighter, warmer, stronger. For example, hiking crampons allow the use of trail runners, yet provide a very aggressive bottom. Axe + whippet provides a great safety combination in all conditions. (c) Stronger, more athletic hikers. The era of the hippy dippy lost souls seems to be fading - or they are at least not so visible.

I agree that April can be cold - this hiker was committed, so he had to deal with all conditions. But for the pick & choose crowd, you can always hit patches of perfect weather. May is when it really becomes pretty nice - just avoid the traditional rogue storm. What is hard for many - including myself - to conceive is that April 20 has the same amount of daylight as August 20 (and May 20 the same as July 20). So, the sun is very intense, and the days are very long. There isn't any haze, and there aren't any fires/smoke. So, you get absolutely crystal clear skies mixed with blinding white terrain.

Ski season is (pretty much) done, so there aren't a whole lot of people getting to experience those types of conditions. Only those who take the right gear and hike in.
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

Hey Hobbes,

That looks kinda miserable. Ryan and I hiked up Baxter yesterday and we were commenting that hiking the PCT in the Sierra right now wouldn't be our cup of tea. Knowing how the snow turns to mank by afternoon your progress becomes slow post hole heaven or just wet. I heard of some PCTers reaching Cottonwood a couple weeks ago but not Bishop Pass. At least he acknowledges its kinda real out there right now, especially alone. I can't wait for the snow to melt at this point.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sierra sonw does not stay "consolidated" all day in April and May, so although stream crossings may be down or have snow bridges, snow, even in good conditions, slow down PCT hikers, who need to make a lot of miles each day. In addition, the major resupply services are not yet open. Balancing the stream crossings with steep snow (read the journals about Forrester Pass last year), I suspect many will choose to "flip-flop" and do the Sierra after the snow AND after peak streamflows. It seems to me the permit system, more than conditions, would drive eariler hiking of the Sierra. Being athletic and having better gear are not sufficient to successfuly and safely travel the Sierra in snow conditions. You need experience in those conditions!

jenreyn- Thanks for the road information. Do you think the road may be re-graded by Fall? Is it a county road? Would the county have fixing this road on some kind of maintance schedule? Or is the road the responsibility of Inyo FS?