Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant 8/29-9/6

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant 8/29-9/6

Post by Wandering Daisy »

2.7 miles and 1170 feet gain according to TOPO. Not an insignificant walk, at least on the way in.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant 8/29-9/6

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks for all the info. I drive a 4wd Tacoma so not worried about the road. I was really hoping there were bear boxes at Leavitt Lake so we could look forward to some better food at the end of the trip if we decided to hike all the way out on the last day.

TomH-- I'll keep an eye on water conditions and change up some plans if it looks like the little valley will be dry.

The idea of two cars and going in at Sonora Pass and out Kennedy Meadows sounds interesting, but while I love the resort, I really hate the trail.

I think that I will stick with going in and out at Leavitt Lake, but I still have lots of time to change some of the itinerary. Heck, I'm really open to changing the itinerary on the fly (something that I don't normally get to do as I am usually solo).

Living in Sonora I have explored a lot of Emigrant out of Crabtree and Gianelli as well as a couple of trips out of Kennedy, but have never had enough time to get up to the Emigrant lakes...thus this trip.

Next year I'm hoping to take the PCT from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows...unless I take my sabbatical...then it will be the JMT.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.