Alternative to Whitney Portal CG?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Alternative to Whitney Portal CG?

Post by Willythedog »

So what I’m looking for is convenience (not having to drive much) and acclimation (hey, a little elevation is better than nothin) so If at all possible I don’t want to stay too low (although going overlanding around Alabama Hills is definitely on the bucket list)

I’ll probably book a site at lone Pine CG just in case and then see if I find anything up at Whitney portal. Thanks all for the input.

WD-
I’m actually planning on doing it in 1 day- climb mountaineers route and descend the trail. I’m just planning on scoping out the route up the ledges in daylight the day before.

I’ve never had problems with elevation either- going from sea level to 14k straight out of the car def hurt but no altitude induced problems. so I can’t say if staying at moderate elevation for a day or 2 does anything for me but hey, can’t hurt.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Alternative to Whitney Portal CG?

Post by bobby49 »

Willythedog wrote: I’ll probably book a site at lone Pine CG just in case and then see if I find anything up at Whitney portal.
A few years ago I was camped at a site in the Whitney Portal Family Campground, and it is on a good hill. Some guy had the next site booked. He showed up with this huge trailer-RV that was towed by a big truck. He tried to back the whole rig into that site, but it just couldn't happen. There was enough length for the trailer-RV, but the truck needed a lot more space in order to cut sharply. After about two hours of hard work, he gave up and left. Then suddenly that site appeared available. The campground host took care of it from there.

So, if you show up at the right time with a wad of cash in your jeans, it is possible to score a site. You can't count on it.