2017 Summer Explorations July 23 - August 31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2017 Summer Explorations July 23 - August 31

Post by alpinemike »

Summer of 2017 was an interesting one. So many life changes... so many alterations to the plans we originally had. I guess I'll dive right in...

After 81 days in 2016 with Rogue we both had some very specific plans for 2017. The biggest plan was to finally head to the HST Meetup, which at the time was going to be in Arrow Creek. This must have been Fall of 2016. Rogue knew that the 2017 summer would be considerably shorter than 2016 since he wanted to work more and save more money. I had similar thoughts and was under the impression I'd be going to graduate school the fall of 2017. But after further review that didn't happen because financially it made more sense for me to work another year and save more money for school. Hence my summer was free again and I had no real commitments. By the end of 2016 the winds of change began to blow both our ways. Rogue began dating someone at the time.. that progressed quickly and they became a couple. While initially that didn't change our summer plans that would influence and affect decisions down the road.

Our plan was as follows. He and I would go do about 12 days around the Great Western Divide, finishing off such peaks as the Whaleback, Midway, Glacier Ridge and so on. This would be from Lodgepole. From there we would go to the HST Meetup at Arrow Creek in late July by going from Taboose Pass to Sawmill Pass in about 12 days. Neither of us had done those passes so we were interested in knocking both out in the same trip. From there I had a wedding to go in early August and then I'd meet up with Rogue in Miter Basin to knock out some peaks in there. From there we would head to Northern Yosemite and do a large loop through the canyons starting and ending at Twin Lakes. I actually planned to do more in Yosemite in late August/early September by going from Tuolmne Meadows North and then looping back around.

Naturally none of this happened... haha. Literally nothing went to plan whatsoever. It's not often that nothing goes to plan but that is exactly what happened this summer of 2017.

My life changed drastically in April when I started dating... And we quickly became a couple. Not long after, my girlfriend, Janine, expressed interest on going on parts of this summer hike with Rogue and I. The plan would be for her to go with us on the Meetup and Miter Basin section. At the time she was going to transfer to San Jose State University which would happen in mid August. Let's fast forward to July... Rogue had decided to save money and work more and decided to not join me and Janine on the meetup section. Quickly after deciding this he decided that maybe all he should do was go on the first section and the Yosemite section hence cutting out Miter Basin. Fast forward a little more and it soon turned into just doing the first section. Alas.. we were all ready to go and I would only be joining him for the first Great Western Divide section and continuing on with the plan with my girlfriend until she had to leave me after Miter Basin. Solid plan right? Well... like I said nothing went to plan.

It was probably 3 days before I had to leave on July 9th to meet up with Rogue when Janine got sick. This was the kind of sick that I didn't feel right about leaving her for several weeks and then expecting her to meet up with me to start a backpacking trip. So... see where this is going. I ended up cancelling on Rogue. It was a major bummer but that's just how life goes. All of our plans and ideas ended up crumbling in a matter of weeks. He ended up only doing a few days on the first section by himself and realized he didn't want to be out there alone and he had a much happier and better life at home now that he had his girlfriend that he could be with. I ended up visiting him in Bakersfield for a few days before I set off on my hike with Janine.

So where does that leave us... Well Janine and I were on our own and we could follow the itinerary Rogue and I set up or change it up. We ended up changing it a lot due to environmental reasons, injury, and so on. The first piece of the puzzle that came together was due to unforeseen circumstances Janine ended up not going to San Jose State for school that fall which meant she could keep backpacking with me!

Here we are then..Week 1. I kept no journal this summer so everything will be much more condensed and more an overview. This first Week we ended up making it to the Meetup! Which at this point in time after our crazy 2017 winter ended up changing to Bench Lake. Our entire first section was pretty similar to what Rogue and I had planned by going from Taboose Pass to Sawmill via the JMT and heading to the Meetup. Let's begin!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Re: 2017 Summer Explorations July 23 - August 31

Post by alpinemike »

Week 1 started off by Janine and I driving separate cars from South Lake Tahoe to Mammoth. I secured our permit in Lee Vining and we headed to Mammoth Brewing company for some dinner and beer! From there we dropped off Janine's car at the Sawmill Pass TH and we drove my truck to the Taboose TH.

Day 1- Taboose Pass TH to Taboose Pass
I knew we had to get a very early start since we were at 5400FT in the Owens Valley desert heat. We were out by 6:30 which was a little later than I hoped for but we managed. It was a long hot slog all day. Picture this.. I carried 12 full days of food with an ice ax and crampons. My pack must have weighed just under 40 Pounds. My girlfriend Janine hadn't backpacking in a while so was still figuring out how much food to carry, so she ended up with 16 days of food along with an ice ax and crampons as well. Her pack was easily in the mid 30's range. Granted not the heaviest... but we also planned on going from 5400FT to 11400FT! That's 6,000 feet of gain in just one day through the hot desert! Yes we made it somehow miraculously. I am still amazed to this day that she managed it.. We made it at last light and found the only real campsite in the entirety of Taboose Pass that was suitable for a non freestanding tent such a my TarpTent MoTrail. We actually met Jeff from HST who was also going to the Meetup in a few days. We hiked with him a good chunk of the day. The water crossing on Taboose Creek was a major crossing that was swift but fortunately not too deep. It was quite refreshing given the heat. We meet a party that told us about the crossing of the South Fork of the Kings. Our original itinerary had us cross it and head up the basin below Mt. Ruskin to climb it. I was already reconsidering this since the report was swift deep water and a fatality in the past week. We both slept very soundly that night after an incredibly tough first day. Our itinerary didn't have us making the pass on the first day but since we found that we could make it we went for it!
000_3404RSPPI.jpg
000_3406RSPPI.jpg
000_3407RSPPI.jpg
000_3413RSPPI.jpg
000_3415RSPPI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

000_3417RSPPI.jpg
000_3420RSPPI.jpg
000_3421RSPPI.jpg
000_3423RSPPI.jpg
000_3424RSPPI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

000_3433RSPPI.jpg
000_3437RSPPI.jpg
000_3448RSPPI.jpg
000_3451RSPPI.jpg
000_3453RSPPI.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 2- Attempt to Climb Cardinal Mtn.
We attempted to climb Cardinal Mtn. today but due to an incoming thunderstorm we had to bail off the ridge. We rested up all day in the tent while it down-poured on us and the heavens let everyone around us know they were in charge.
Taboose PassRSPPI.jpg
000_3463RSPPI.jpg
000_3465RSPPI.jpg
000_3468RSPPI.jpg
000_3475RSPPI.jpg
000_3479RSPPI.jpg
Last edited by alpinemike on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 3- Layover
It threatened to rain all day which forced us to stay in the tent once more. It never rained all that hard but it thunder every now and again so for our peace of minds I decided we just stay put.
000_3489RSPPI.jpg
000_3496RSPPI.jpg
000_3499RSPPI.jpg
Day 4- Climb Goodale
Today Janine and I climbed Goodale. While the weather remained cooperative all day it was cloudy and low clouds blew in most of the the day which made for inspiring views. The climb was quite nasty with lots of loose rock. Janine definitely got an initiation on her first High Sierra Peak. She was very much over it by the time we were done. And to be honest I was too! Loose rock will only be something you tolerate for so long. And I've had plenty with Rogue. The summit block was an awesome Class 3 pinnacle that barely fit the 2 of us. I had planned to climb Stripped Mtn., but the day was growing late and I was over the shitty rock. So we both made our way back to camp.
Taboose Pass 2RSPPI.jpg
000_3510RSPPI.jpg
000_3524RSPPI.jpg
000_3531RSPPI.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 5- Taboose Pass to Bench Lake
Since I knew the mileage today was fairly short I figured I had enough time to climb Cardinal Mtn. I managed to get to the top by 11. The views were incredible and it was a beautiful sunny blue day. We left camp as soon as I got down and started down the other side of the pass to meet up with the JMT. We headed to Bench Lake from there, reaching it late afternoon. While searching for a place to camp we found several members of the Meetup group! We found a great place to camp among the group. That evening we all had a marvelous time chatting and eating dinner together. Lots of great stories and memories made there.
000_3537RSPPI.jpg
000_3551RSPPI.jpg
000_3552RSPPI.jpg
000_3558RSPPI.jpg
000_3581RSPPI.jpg
000_3584RSPPI.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 6- Bench Lake to Arrow Creek
After saying our goodbyes today to the HST group we made our way over Arrow Pass to Arrow Creek. I was determined to see this area even though the meetup location had changed. Gazelle and Flamingo from the meetup had made it over the pass the previous day so I knew we could make it just fine. This was what I worried about snow wise and the need for ice axes and crampons. Yet, we managed to not need either. The mosquitoes were a non issue at Taboose Pass very fortunately for us but at Bench Lake they started to collect and going over Arrow Pass they were vicious! Arrow Creek was on another level and become known as Hell on Earth! At least it sure was beautiful there!
000_3598RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5438RSPPI.jpg
000_3600RSPPI.jpg
000_3612RSPPI.jpg
000_3613RSPPI.jpg
000_3614RSPPI.jpg
000_3623RSPPI.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 7- Climb Pyramid Peak S
Rogue's and my original itinerary had us climbing several peaks in this basin. But with Janine I just didn't feel the need and only quested after the SPS peaks. Pyramid Peak fell on that list so we conquered Pyramid this day. A fairly straightforward climb that featured a fun snow slope along with a little Class 3 to get up to the ridge. The ridge itself was easy. The view was incredible all around with views to the North and South equally unobstructed with everything in view from the Palisades to Mt. Goddard to Mt. Whitney to the Kaweah's. As we got back to camp we were swarmed once more by the blood sucking vampires and I was ready to get the hell out of there. So we decided the following day we'd be heading back out towards Bench Lake.
000_3626RSPPI.jpg
000_3630RSPPI.jpg
000_3634RSPPI.jpg
000_3636RSPPI.jpg
000_3639RSPPI.jpg
Alpine Mike-

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the report. I always enjoy your photographs. Is that at Tarptent? How does it work for you?