TR: Olancha Pass Day Hike 4/6/2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Olancha Pass Day Hike 4/6/2018

Post by cloudlesssky »

I took a quick hike up Olancha Pass to get a gauge on my fitness level and see what the conditions were like at the higher elevations. I'm considering a PCT section G hike in May. I've never been up Olancha Pass and actually didn't realize there was an established trail until a friend mentioned it over dinner a week ago. I'm glad I listened to him. It was a good way to spend a day and also a great way to access the southern Sierra.

The trailhead is easy to access via the Sage Flat road south of Olancha. It's paved about half of the 5 mile distance and the remaining dirt section is currently well graded. Typical cars will have no problem.

The trailhead is reported to be about 5800'. It's located in a section of oaks and there are camp-able spots to be found. A small stream was flowing when I visited but I'd guess it's seasonal.

The trail begins a steady and relatively steep climb from the trailhead. It made me think of Baxter, Taboose and Sawmill pass trails.
IMG_5844.JPG
The first part of the trail is apparently also used as a cattle run, but I saw no evidence of cattle, not even a well-desiccated patty. Eventually you hit a Y with the cattle run staying lower near the creek and the hiker trail going up towards a long series of switchbacks.
IMG_5848.JPG
The trail maintains a steady climb with occasional views of the Owens Valley and Haiwee Reservoir. Eventually pines start mixing in with the oak.
IMG_5855.JPG
The trail was mostly dry but there was a small section in the trees and near the summit that was covered with snow. It is easily passable without any gear. It is deep enough to posthole in some some spots but these are relatively short sections.
IMG_5860.JPG
Eventually I reached the summit at about 9200'. I've read it's about 5 to 5.5 miles one way from the trailhead and that seemed about right. The sign actually says "Haiwee Pass" with an arrow pointing south to the Haiwee Pass trail. The upper half that probably used to say "Olancha Pass" is split off.
IMG_5862.JPG
Summit Meadow has a thin layer of patchy snow and a stream flowing through it. I walked along it for a while intending to go to the intersection of the PCT, but the forecast winds started picking up and I really wasn't interested in hiking through a gale so I turned back and headed back down the trail.
IMG_5868.JPG
This was a nice early season day hike that I'll likely repeat in years to come.
IMG_5874.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Olancha Pass Day Hike 4/6/2018

Post by gary c. »

I've thought about hiking there in the past but never have. Thanks for your report.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray