Recommendations for quick trip in mid-April

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations for quick trip in mid-April

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is dispersed camping allowed along the Evergreen Road (the road to Hetch Hetchy, just before the Big Oak entrance). There is a dirt road that takes off left after you cross Akerson Creek and go up the hill (about 2-3 miles from Hwy 120). There are several established campsites here. You have to have a FS fire permit (get free at the FS office out of Groveland) if you want to have a campfire. The dirt road is rutted and can get muddy but is OK for a passenger car.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

You can also camp at north pines first night or last night if you have a yosemite wilderness permit. Shouldn't have any flooding issues from this weekend's storm.
hiac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hiac »

chulavista wrote:You can also camp at north pines first night or last night if you have a yosemite wilderness permit. Shouldn't have any flooding issues from this weekend's storm.
I am trying to avoid snow, and probably will stay in the valley most of time, and do hiking there. Can I assume I will not get wilderness permit in that case?

Thank you!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

hiac wrote:
chulavista wrote:You can also camp at north pines first night or last night if you have a yosemite wilderness permit. Shouldn't have any flooding issues from this weekend's storm.
I am trying to avoid snow, and probably will stay in the valley most of time, and do hiking there. Can I assume I will not get wilderness permit in that case?

Thank you!
Yes, you can assume that you will have no wilderness permit. The Valley floor is not wilderness. Camping in the backpacking campsites in North Pines requires that you have a wilderness permit. Camping in the regular campsites requires you to reserve a spot, or get lucky with a walkup spot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here is a map of the location of the FS dispersed camping on the Evergreen Road.
AKERSON CR CAMPS.JPG
You may want to try to get a spot at Camp 4 when you get into the valley. I have obtained a spot mid-week about this time of year. People leave about 10AM so sites may free up. You usually have to stand in line. It is worth a try.

The best strategy is to get an overnight permit. Snow Creek Trail is snow-free to the bridge (there may be some snow patches). You can likely find a dry spot to camp up there. It is a scenic hike, but about 2,500+ elevation gain. Or, if a permit is available for Little Yosemite Valley, go up there for the overnight. I doubt there is much snow up there. Maybe a few patches. There is a large backpack campground up there. But permits are sometimes hard to get, especially on weekends. You can also go up Yosemite Falls trail and camp (I believe you need to be 2 miles away from trail to camp). But there is likely to be more snow. All these hikes up out of the valley are about 2,500-3000 feet gain, but all are also very stunning.

What you do is 1) get a permit at the Big Oak entrance for the next night. 2) Drive to the valley, camp at backpackers camp, do some day-hikes. 3) By 11 AM next day go up the Snow Creek trail and camp near the bridge. 4) Come back next AM, get back about noon, and again you can camp at the backpacker's campground. 5) Do more day-hikes. 6) Have to be out by 11AM the next morning.

Otherwise camp outside the valley and drive in each day. I think backpacker's campground fees are $5 or $7 per person per night. Hogodon is about $20 a night. Ackerson Creek is free. Camp 4 is also $5 or $7 per night. The backpacker campground and Camp 4 are walk-in campgrounds. It is not a big walk, and they will tell you where to park your car. If you do an overnight, you have to park your car at the backpacker's parking lot. They will tell you where that is. Sounds complicated, but really is not once you get the hang of it. But be aware that you will have to haul in all your camp stuff at the backpackers or Camp 4, so still pack as if you are backpacking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hiac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hiac »

Hey Wandering Daisy,

Thank you very much for your time and effort to put a plan together. It looks very promising. One follow up question: tire chain. I know it depends on weather, but to your best knowledge, if you were me, will you bring tire chain just in case at end of April? I will fly in and rent a car...

Thanks again!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

When you rent a car, just ask them to put in tire chains. I doubt that will cost you any more. You are not likely to need them, but one never knows. Weather reports are pretty good. Check a few days before you come. I use the NWS Western Region web site.