Jennie Lakes Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Yeah we made it in an hour and fifteen minutes but that's coming out of Sanger which is about twenty minutes closer to the park entrance than Fresno. I don't know if it's any faster but from Visalia I think you can take 198 all the way up to Sequoia.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Finally went.

Post by fyton2v »

So the initial trip was postponed due to bout with strep throat. Me and my older daughter both came down with it a few days before we were supposed to go. We ended up leaving my wife and 3YO at home and did the hike to Jennie Lake the weekend before last.

It's a nice hike. We left from the Fox Meadow trail head making it about 5.5 miles one-way. Great scenery. Plenty of marmots. Mosquitoes weren't bad. However, there isn't much water up there. I don't think we crossed a single stream for about 2 miles preceding Jennie Lake... and there was barely water in the streams that did exist.

For the fishing buffs: The fishing at Jennie is very good right now. Landed several 8-10 rainbow/brook trout and 1 14" or 15" rainbow (I didn't measure) on a black woolly bugger. Royal patterns seemed to work pretty well too. Plenty of large fish patrolling the shallows. It's worth the walk.

Thanks again for those that provided advice.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for the report. Glad the trip was a success and it's good to hear there are large fish in Jennie. Sounds like it is the year for adults catching strep throat. I was nailed 3 times this spring. Funny thing was that although I caught it frequently as a kid and teenager, I don't recall having it in at least 20 years. Ironically the most recent of those three times was the same week I was originally planning to visit Weaver or Cora as per earlier in this thread (ie I was probably sick about the same time you were). I ended opting for Hidden Lake in Kaiser Wilderness; I was on my second day of antibiotics when I did that little dayhike.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;