TR: Cathedral Range July 2017 — Epic Fail + Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Cathedral Range July 2017 — Epic Fail + Questions

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bet your gut just does not like you to do strenuous exercise when it is digesting food. The only gut-burping issues I get is from trail food during the day. But then, my gut never rebels enough to make me sick. I do not mind going on little food while hiking because I really do not feel that hungry.

My elderly mother has lots of gut problems and she uses Papaya tablets (over-the-counter digestive aid). Evidently she lacks some needed enzyme that the pill provides.
Yury
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Yury »

I have one more idea.

Stanley Otter, what do you drink during your hikes?
Is it Gatorade by any chance?
How much do you drink?
Overdrinking of Gatorade etc. may lead to similar symptoms as well.
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

Yury wrote:I have one more idea.

Stanley Otter, what do you drink during your hikes?
Is it Gatorade by any chance?
How much do you drink?
Overdrinking of Gatorade etc. may lead to similar symptoms as well.
Just water. It is definitely food related. Thanks, though.
Dennis
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

Stanley Otter wrote: 1. Did/does much of the snow pack from a heavy snow year linger into the next year? I have looked at some of the late season trip reports from last September and October and it looks as though things cleared up nicely. This obviously varies by location, but in general is it okay to assume things started at or near “zero” for this winter? I brought and used crampons and a whippet pole last summer, and I am wondering if there are holdover effects from last winter that might tilt the decision in favor of doing that again. I know this season is not finished by any stretch, especially given the recent (and I’d bet welcome) uptick in snow water content.
I'd really like to talk about this instead of dwelling on the food thing anymore...
Dennis
Roaring in my ears,
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Stanley Otter wrote:
Stanley Otter wrote: 1. Did/does much of the snow pack from a heavy snow year linger into the next year? I have looked at some of the late season trip reports from last September and October and it looks as though things cleared up nicely. This obviously varies by location, but in general is it okay to assume things started at or near “zero” for this winter? I brought and used crampons and a whippet pole last summer, and I am wondering if there are holdover effects from last winter that might tilt the decision in favor of doing that again. I know this season is not finished by any stretch, especially given the recent (and I’d bet welcome) uptick in snow water content.
I'd really like to talk about this instead of dwelling on the food thing anymore...
Dennis
First of all, I'd like join others and say that I'd hardly consider your trip an "epic fail". Sounds like you got in a pretty good trip before you had to abort.

As for Q1. Significant snowpack does not linger for one season to the next. No matter what April brings we'll be below average this year for the snowpack.
As for Q2 I have not crossed that specific pass nor do I know the crossing area on the Maclure glacier enough to know whether ice axe and crampons etc. will be needed. Given that its the Maclure glacier, there will be snow there no matter how mild a winter is, so the need for snow/ice equipment will depend on the steepness of where you cross and the runout or lack thereof.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

giantbrookie wrote: First of all, I'd like join others and say that I'd hardly consider your trip an "epic fail". Sounds like you got in a pretty good trip before you had to abort.
Thanks -- I am grateful for the encouragement and help in doing a "positive reframe" on what happened. If I lived closer I would have gotten back up on that horse and tried again -- as it is, I get to play what-if for a year...

And I really am grateful for the food and digestion discussion -- my midwestern upbringing was just causing me some embarrassment with all the focus on me and my troubles. (I know, I did ask for help :rolleyes: ) Going bland(er), trying out alpha-galactosidase enzyme (a.k.a. Bean-O) per WD's info, taking some ideas from the Backpackers Breakfast thread, bigger breakfast so less eating during the day -- all very helpful suggestions.
giantbrookie wrote:As for Q1. Significant snowpack does not linger for one season to the next. No matter what April brings we'll be below average this year for the snowpack.
As for Q2 I have not crossed that specific pass nor do I know the crossing area on the Maclure glacier enough to know whether ice axe and crampons etc. will be needed. Given that its the Maclure glacier, there will be snow there no matter how mild a winter is, so the need for snow/ice equipment will depend on the steepness of where you cross and the runout or lack thereof.
Q1: Thanks, this is helpful info. I have some hydrogeologist friends, but as they tell me it's all about cowsh*t and karst around here. Nice to have some region-specific input.
Q2: Got it. I don't have Secor with me right now, but I think he uses the word "shallow" or "gradual" in reference to the slope. Of course, he is coming from the mountain climbing perspective...
Dennis
Roaring in my ears,
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Remember the line in "The Graduate"? One word: plastics. Likewise, with respect to trail food, one word: Fritos. :D

More on topic, the Cathedral range is difficult. You can search hard and long @ HST for trip reports, but they are few and far between. The one I think most recall is Cam's ie the blue Pothole. I've said it before, but there's a reason Roper routed the SHR up Vogelsang to TM. Class 2 with mini-bits of class 3 is ok, but hard-ass mountaineering wasn't what he intended.

Regardless, it's pretty impressive you flew out and got right into it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

For what it is worth, here are the routes I have done in that area.
There are some perpendicular slots on Lyell Creek above the trail that make a direct drop down the creek from the upper lakes a bit tricky.
B_Routes_Hutchinson.jpg
A_McClure to Volgalsang Trail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The pass you are considering is on this skyline, probably hidden behind the larger massive peak on the right (Pt 12358). The big peak on the left is Florence (I think). Not 100% sure I am correct on the peaks on the skyline.
A_Hutchins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Or perhaps this may be the pass.
A_McClure-Hutchings pass maybe.jpg