relative difficulty of HST?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: relative difficulty of HST?

Post by AlmostThere »

Not trying to change anything. I just think you're going to miss a lot of stuff that way. Anyone who travels from a distance and plans a whirlwind tour always does. It's a constant theme in backpacking forums, people who insist that they can do X in two days.

Personally, I have found that no matter how many weeks I have spent up in the high Sierra, I still find places to explore. I won't be doing the HST because of the high traffic on it, but I do repeatedly plan week long trips and never fail to enjoy every minute no matter how few or many miles I do on the planned route. Planning a zero day in a remote canyon leads to views and epic day hikes. You seem to think that stopping along the HST means no hiking. I'm not dissimilar to you in that I don't find sitting around is any fun at all....

Suggestions? Well, there are lakes and streams and peaks throughout that mountain range. Pick one, have fun. Some of the best views and best fishing I've found were in places with no names and no people.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I can't give a relative AT comparison, but it is absolutely true that a "fast" backpacker can comfortably do the HST in four days, even with one or two elevation slowdowns. We all have different motivations and interests, and I think it's just fine if some enjoy speeding through a beautiful landscape. You may however miss out on the hot spring if you can't afford a long time to wait in the line :)

The last time I was on Whitney there were young people who made it to the top who started out at 2 in the morning. I moved away from them; lots of Tylenol, Red Bull and puking. They were not looking forward to the descent.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Actually, what I would recommend more than anything else is planned options.

Get a permit for a week, do as you wish. If something along the way entices you to go on a side trip, you have time to do it. If you make the trip in four days there is zero penalty for exiting the wilderness early.

I routinely make an itinerary (see reconn.org) and note on the document, after looking at a map, any potential side trips I might be inclined to take. Writing in general areas gives SAR the information they need without limiting you.

With an extra day or two a robust hiker on the HST could add a climb into Deadman Canyon and a return through Cloud Canyon - two destinations I would happily spend two days in, all on their own.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The NPS is always quite conservative on their recommedations, because they have to take into account that the general backpacking public probably could not make it in 5 days. The only problems I can see you would have is very early season when you may have to walk on snow or if one of your group has trouble with the altitude. Most of us who go slower simply have other activities, such as fishing, that we engage in on a backpack trip. If 5 days is your trip length due to planning reasons, then go for it.

I have gone into Hamilton Lake in a 8-hr day, even with a very heavy pack (climbing gear), and it is certainly do-able. Personally I did not like Moraine Lake as a campsite. I rather do an off-trail loop in Nine Lakes and then camp downstream just before the trail climbs up to the plateau (Moraine Lake is on this plateau). Most people like to hang out at Kern Hot Springs for half a day. I usually just walk by it because honestly, it is crowded and I am not very keen on hot springs. From the camp at Wallace Creek (on the JMT), you can do a side-trip up to Wallace Lakes. There is only an off-and-on again use trail. Rather than camp at crowded Guitar Lake, I prefer to go up on the benches above and then do a side-trip to Arctic Lakes. Camping at Arctic Lake is pretty harsh- very windy and lumpy campsites, but stunningly scenic. On the way down from Whitney, a short off-trail drop takes you to Consultation Lake. Scenic, but mainly a destination for good fishing. You could camp here and avoid the crowds at the other popular Whitney campsites. So, it is quite easy to make the trip into a 7-8 day affair, and still be quite busy and hiking all day if you add these side trips. Unlike the Appalacians, the High Sierra is an off-trail paradise- you never can run out of side trips to take!

Weather in the Sierra is generally very good in the summer, but starting in July you can have some quite severe thunder storms. You definitly do not want to be on the top of Whitney or on Trail Crest during one of these storms. Be careful where you camp. Years ago a boy scout group camped in a wet meadow near Crabtree RS, and got stuck by lightning, and one person was killed. Not sure if you get these types of storms on the AT. At any rate, if not familiar with how to stay safe in lighting, read up on that.

Later in the season, there are sections that lack frequent water sources, and it can get very hot. Easy to dehydrate, so carry sufficient water. Smaller water sources are often dry by mid-season. Streams that are shown on maps as permanant, are not always wet. The water quality at Moraine Lake is pretty disguisting, in my opinon.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

As former east coaster, mileage aside, don't underestimate the general conditions' impact on your body: Dry air + very strong sun + Elevation.
(and frequently sandy, exposed trails). These conditions have always felt harsher on my compared to hiking in say Rockies like Glacier or the Cascades in Washington and certainly New England. Just plan accordingly.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I did the HST in early August 2017, so maybe I can comment. First, I started out in early July 2017, and I got to Hamilton Lake when I realized that the heavy snow winter had left a lot of snow, and it all seemed to be melting right then. The stream crossings were deep and took some extra time. Since I was solo, I decided to turn back then in July. I returned in August, and the stream crossings were more normal by then. The trail is well-traveled and the obstacles aren't bad.

I think that the park service realized that 10 miles per day is a normal pace for many backpackers, but that depends on how heavily loaded they are. As a result, you will find lots of standard camp sites scattered out at 10-mile intervals. For lots of backpackers, that makes sense due to the amount of elevation gain. I mean, you don't just dash up a 4000-foot climb in an instant. So, I made my plans assuming that I would go 10 miles per day, worst case. Also, I noticed that there were also campsites at different intervals, and I found roughly 14 miles per day to be present. That suited me. Most backpackers would summit on Whitney and then descend the main Mount Whitney Trail on the east side. I had been on that trail segment too many times, and that did not appeal to me. So, I made my plan to spend four days getting to Crabtree Meadow. Then one day to dayhike to the summit and back to Crabtree. From there, I planned to exit out south over Cottonwood Pass, but I didn't know whether that last 22 miles would take me two days or one. I did it in one. So, my whole trip was six days.

All of this works because I am not bothered by high altitude to any great degree. It also works because I kept my backpack load pretty low, about 30 pounds to start since I was carrying nine days worth of food. YMMV.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

sparkler wrote:so has anyone here done it in 4 days? has anyone done it and a lot of the AT and can draw a comparison between them? for instance, i've hiked across the smokies and slightly beyond on the AT in 4 days. would this hike be dramatically more difficult then that? is it more like hiking in say, the white mountains or the maine high peaks?
I walked it in 2 1/2 days. The trails are good the whole way and large sections are at a relatively low elevation. I haven't been on the AT so I can't make that direct comparison but unless you are especially sensitive to the effects of altitude a 4 day plan is not unreasonable.

The question this begs, and everybody eagerly sounds off about, is whether you should, in their minds at least, walk that fast or walk slower. It's an age-old debate in backpacking that ultimately comes down to personal preference. But it inspires a kind of religious fervor from many.

(fixed typo)
Last edited by longri on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

The HST is easy. It's a trail that was designed from the ground up to be a recreational hiking trail. Compare that to some other trails (esp in Europe) that were originally mule tracks for pack trains. I'm sure mules love steep climbs on rock staircases, but the human foot sure doesn't.

OP is likely to be acclimated by 3-4 days of high elevation hiking by the time he gets to Whitney because he's starting from the west side. Sure, he could still get altitude sickness, but the odds are much lower than if he was starting from the east side.

I haven't gone past Big Arroyo on the HST, but I had no trouble making 2-3 MPH up to that point.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

PLan for your 4 or 5 days, then, if you get behind schedule, don't fret- it does not hurt anyone to run out of food for a day, Your permit only is "set in stone" for your entry date. You will not get "ticketed" for coming out a day late. If it messes up your transportation, so be it. Or if transportation is super critical, then you may have to skip Whitney summit or do some walking by headlamp.

Kern Canyon is hot, but there is always the river to jump into to cool off. The climb up from Junction Meadow to Wallace Creek at the PCT is worse in the heat because it is so dry. It would be good to do that early AM.

And for those of us who have not been on the AT, my understanding is that it is more brutal than the PCT with regard to elevation gains. Evidently few switchbacks.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just one minor note on altitude. You mentioned the Grand Canyon and Yosemite Valley> South Rim of GCNP is about 7k. Yosemite Valley is about 4K.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963