Backpacker checklist

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Strider
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Backpacker checklist

Post by Strider »

Always good to review at the start of a new season:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/checklis ... 2,,00.html
'Hike long and perspire'
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

Man, that looks like my winter camping gear list. Seems a bit overkill for a summer backpack.
Eric
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

The "Backpacker" checklist is just a gear review - I don't think they're really suggesting that one would bring a closed-cell foam sleeping pad AND an inflatable sleeping pad. I never bring as many clothes as this list suggests. But it's definately a good review.

Bob Rockwell posted a light-weight backpack gear list a couple years ago:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~rockwell/Climb ... e_Pack.doc

I never seen to get my pack as light as I'd like.... but I keep trying. Except I just got a new harmonica - it weighs twice as much as my old one... but what beautiful tone it's got!!! :D
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

Rosabella wrote:I don't think they're really suggesting that one would bring a closed-cell foam sleeping pad AND an inflatable sleeping pad
Actually, I do take both - my Uberlight inflatable pad and my evazote foam pad together are 6 ounces lighter than my thermarest guidelite 3/4 inflatable. The evazote protects and supplements the uberlight, and if the uberlight gets punctured, I can still get by.

For an extreme example of an Excel spreadsheet gram-counting packing list, see http://langenbacher.org/TaboosePass/BackpackList.xls . It was developed by an electronic engineer with too much time on his hands (me) during a long period of unemployment, and recycled many times.
frediver
Topix Regular

Pad + Pad

Post by frediver »

And that is what I do as well.
I take an ensolite and an inflatable pad, together they weight less than a therm-a-rest.
I have a 2.5 in inflatable and with the ensolite I can be real comfortable.
<><
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

langenbacher wrote:Actually, I do take both - my Uberlight inflatable pad and my evazote foam pad together are 6 ounces lighter than my thermarest guidelite 3/4 inflatable. The evazote protects and supplements the uberlight, and if the uberlight gets punctured, I can still get by.
OK, I'll bite: where does one get these things? I did a quickie Google search and came up with Uberlight backpacks but no inflatable pads, and evazote seems to be mostly sold in bulk. This sounds like a really interesting way to get both comfortable and light, an unusual (and felicitous!) combination...
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

REI.com has the uberlight,
gossamergear.com has evazote
I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives in sources and materials.

Actually I only tried the uberlight once so far, and it was hard to judge because I kept sliding off of it all night due to a very unlevel campsite. Combining the evazote pad with a thermarest prolite 3 S was still lighter than the thermarest 3/4 guidlite, and much more comfortable that evazote alone
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Experienced backpackers often work at some time each season from a checklist, especially before longer trips. There is just too much opportunity to leave minor items behind or not prepare/repair gear that needs attention. My own backpacking trip spreadsheet has over 200 items not all of which I take on each trip. Often when doing a sequence of trips, I don't bother much with my checklist if it is still in the same pile as where I left it on the previous trip and the coming trip is short. ...David
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

For awhile I was backpacking every weekend, so I would unpack in the garage, do laundry and replace food, batteries, etc, and repack. So the only time I needed a list was beginning of the season.

I have an excell spreadsheet that adds the ounces and tells me how much my pack weighs.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Snow Nymph wrote:FI have an excell spreadsheet that adds the ounces and tells me how much my pack weighs.
I've got a pair of shoulders which, coupled with a pair of hips, performs the same function. :lol: