Early June 5 day Backpack Ideas?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Early June 5 day Backpack Ideas?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Early June is on the cusp of fog season. I hiked the Lost Coast the week after Memorial Day a few years back, and yes, there was some fog, but not bad. I also did it mid-May in 2006 and got over 4 inches of rain, which actually was worse. It is always a hit or miss up there.

A few more details on two of my early June trips in the past.

My Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Loop in 2012 was June 5-9 from the Lukens Lake TH. 1) Morrison Creek (7 mi) 2) Muir Gorge (12 mi) 3) Cathedral Creek (9.5 mi) 4) Ten Lakes (12 mi) 5) Lukens (12 mi). The road to White Wolf is often not open early, so Lukens TH is a good start, because it is on Hwy 120. It adds about 2 miles vs starting at White Wolf, if you go one way. It is about half the distance to go out to Tuolumne vs looping back to Lukens.

Also did Desolation June 6, 2015, from Bayview TH. 1) Velma L (5 mi), 2) Smidel (7 mi via 4Q Lakes, tough x-c) trail route shorter and easier 3) Clyde Lake (7 mi), 4) Dicks Lake (8 mi), 5) out to Bayview (4 mi). The trailheads from the Tahoe side are usually open early, whereas, Wrights Lake sometimes is later opening.