Pass info: Seven Gables Pass & Darwin Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pass info: Seven Gables Pass & Darwin Col

Post by notis »

Gathering info on a couple of 'less popular' passes that we are planning on this summer.

What can folks tell me about Seven Gables Pass, and Darwin Col? I've gathered all I can from the HST Map, trip reports online, and Secor's book.

Seven Gables will likely be traveled S-N, but I can modify it if safety is a concern.

I would like to travel Darwin Col S-N, but that's not set in stone, either. I know Andy/Bluewater had traveled this, and did it N-S.

As always, I'm appreciative of all the advice on this website!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Pass info: Seven Gables Pass & Darwin Col

Post by oldranger »

Two old guys (markskor and myself) did Seven Gables Pass s to n a few years ago early in the season of a dry year. The cornice on the n side was a bit intimidating to me. We traversed to the se across the top of the cornice to some steep slabs that we descended a bit before dropping into the gulley that leads ne from the pass. After a while we exited the gully to the n then zigzaged our way down to lake 10947.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

oldranger,

That sounds familiar; I definitely read your description on the HST Map--thanks for posting that. I'm also planning this pass earlier in the season, winter dependent.

You avoided the cornice completely, right? And--if I recall correctly, you approached from Three Island Lake and the western flanks of Gemini. There looks like an approach route that could start directly east of Medley Lake. Any thoughts on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

notis wrote:oldranger,

That sounds familiar; I definitely read your description on the HST Map--thanks for posting that. I'm also planning this pass earlier in the season, winter dependent.

You avoided the cornice completely, right? And--if I recall correctly, you approached from Three Island Lake and the western flanks of Gemini. There looks like an approach route that could start directly east of Medley Lake. Any thoughts on this?
Somebody else will have to comment on your proposed route as we never had a view into that drainage.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here's a photo on the way down to Seven Gables Lakes from the pass: http://www.sierrahiker.com/BearLakes/bl04.jpg
For a trip report of a trip in the Bear Lakes area, go to: http://www.sierrahiker.com/BearLakes/index.html
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Thank you sir! So it seems like you approached from Medley.

The lighting on those pics from the 80s is beautiful. It almost makes the Sierras look better...
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

A couple of friends and I did Seven Gables Pass in a relatively high snow fall year (2011) the first week in Sept. The cornice was present and we had to go around it. A relatively easy way down at that time was to the northeast, starting perhaps 50 yd or so from the cornice and continuing downslope at a NE angle.

We approached the pass from Three Island Lake (green line) since we camped there, but I recommend walking by there anyway ... just because.
Seven Gables Pass_b.png
TIL outlet.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Ska-T,

Thanks for taking the time to respond with pics and that drawing :) Also, thanks for the info on the cornice. Seems like that N/NE facing slope definitely gets its share of windsweep through there.