Yosemite / Tuolomne CG Reservation Q

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Yosemite / Tuolomne CG Reservation Q

Post by sambieni »

I see tomorrow is opening for Tuolomne Meadows campground reservations. Anyone know if it goes live at midnight or 7 am? I was unable get thru customer service numbers to find out directly.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite / Tuolomne CG Reservation Q

Post by LMBSGV »

It is my understanding that all reservations on Recreation.gov go live at 10:00 am Eastern time so 7:00 am for all of us on the West Coast.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

true about 7am opening. I'm confused by your dates, however, so maybe you can give me more info re. today's "opening". have gone there for years, and the standing policy has been reservations beginning on the 15th of each month through the 14th of the following month can be made 5 months in advance. thus the window that opened on Feb 15 is good for reservations between July 15 (current planned opening date) through August 14. on March 15, window will open for August 15-September 14. maybe you mean Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, or maybe they've changed the rules, or maybe you're mistaken. please update me on your info. thanks
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

2 nights end of August prior to Labor Day weekend.
I cannot book no matter how I try. It indicates I must return April 15 to book. Guess window went from 5 mos to 4 mos.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've been watching the web site to try and book a date that won't become available until March 15th. I've been meaning to call Yosemite for some clarification as to why the site doesn't show any reservations being made but I just have not done so yet. It looks to me like last years season long closure may still be effecting things. I wonder if they are waiting to see if the campgrounds will have to remain closed again this year. Maybe Mark has some input?
Last edited by gary c. on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

you're right, the site won't allow booking for, say, July 15, which should be in the current window that began Feb 15. strangely, if you hit "check next available date" one piece of advice is to try booking a date before July 14. ??? so we may have a software problem at recreation.gov. a change of policy at NPS (remember they're under new management), or a failure of communication between the two. will see what what I can find out--if I can reach anybody who knows. by the way TM opened last year, just not until August. was there in Sept.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

starting with recreation.gov. chatline, customer service telephone busy, sent e-mail. by the way, sambieni, after 8/14 won't be available until 3/15 under the old rules.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

okey-dokey. spoke with someone at YNP, and the chart for making advance reservations has changed to reflect a 4-month lead time. thus, on 3/15 sites will be available for opening month (beginning July 15), and late August sites will come up on April 15.
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Good info. Thanks for pisting the follow up