Stream crossing safety while hiking and backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Stream crossing safety while hiking and backpacking

Post by Hobbes »

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again; that is, thinking about early season hiking. While it was beginning to look like a very dry year, March/April may still hold some surprises. Per usual, the two chief concerns to keep in mind during spring hikes are snowy passes and creek/river crossings. With respect to the latter, and in light of what occurred last year, the PCTA published a nice article on water safety tips & techniques. I though this might be of interest to people who are considering and/or planning on getting out in the high Sierra for some early season fun:

---

People die in stream crossings. They underestimate the risk. It’s better to turn around than risk a dangerous crossing. Remember, most hikers delay their trips until after peak runoff. That’s the safest option.

How to assess a creek crossing for a safer place to cross.
Look downstream—and consider what happens if you get swept away.
Are there any hazards? Hazards could include waterfalls, boulders, strainers, undercut banks or bends in the river where the current gets fast and deep. If you slip and fall, you’re going for a ride. Even a light current can easily push you far downstream. Make sure there’s nothing nasty downstream that you could get pushed into. Also, make sure that the banks aren’t so steep, brushy, or snowy that you won’t be able to get out.

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail ... ng-safety/

---

One thing that is typically missing in planning/studying is having a ready source of comparative context. Sure, there's plenty of photos of crossings, but rarely discussion/opinion. The PCTA addressed this as well by posting this photo & comment:

To us, this looks like a very fast moving and probably dangerous crossing. Photo by Neil Butler.

IMO, I think the comment is spot on. As someone who is pretty good in water, and has done his share of high-water crossings, this is the very type of situation that can catch people off guard. For one, the stream itself isn't that wide, but the center flow is moving pretty fast. For two, it looks pretty bouldery, so it may be both slippery and be difficult to shuffle. For three, the hiker is heading out solo, so he's acting pretty confident.

For some context, the Taboose crossing last year during the meet-up looked like this - sans the far calm width. IOW, it was all turbulence about as wide as the central portion of this stream. In our case, the Taboose crossing didn't have any options further up/down stream since it was in such a narrow, steep, bushy canyon. OTH, if I was this hiker, I think I would have looked for a flatter, less agitated spot to cross if given the opportunity.

Anyway, the main article has a lot of informative advice & tips, as well as many other photos & commentary.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stream crossing safety while hiking and backpacking

Post by maverick »

There is already a comprehensive thread, 10 pages long, on this subjuct:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ing#p40741
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org