Lowest Temps

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lowest Temps

Post by maverick »

Reading that the wind chill values will be below -25F at the higher elevations in the Sierra, would like to hear, what are the lowest temps, including wind chill values, that you have expereinced in the Sierra while out backpacking?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Lowest Temps

Post by oldranger »

13 degrees, upper mills creek lake september 1968. Luckily I had a 10 degree bag and a warm body next to me!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

While in college on a whim while drinking on a Friday night 3 of us college buddies decided to do a weekend backpacking trip in late October. We bought a salami and some rolls and headed to Summit lake in the Hoover Wilderness. We slept for a couple of hours at the trailhead and then hiked in as the sun came up. My buddies had a tiny tent so I slept out on a tarp like I always did. My sleeping bag was cotton inside, like the old coleman camping bags, but it had a nylon shell which was high tech to me forty years ago. There was no temperature rating for the bag but it kept me warm enough on sleepovers on friends couches and worked well enough around a blazing campfire on previous summer backpacking trips. It was probably good down to 40 degrees with thermals on. Anyway we thought it might snow and it started after nightfall. I put on all the clothes I had - my jeans, my cotton thermals, a couple shirts and a Sears Jacket and crawled into my sleeping bag in a ball and sealed up the top. Luckily it did snow about 6 inches which actually helped to insulate me. I woke up in total darkness and moved towards the light-the opening of my sleeping bag. I was alive after all and crawled out through the snow into a glorious sunny day. It was very cold and windy but I tried my luck at fishing anyway. The fishing was good but the line constantly freezing up on the eyelets of my rod made it a hassle and my shivering made it hard to fish. We decided to hike out the 6 or so miles to our car and headed to the Bridgeport Ranger Station to use their facilities and chat hiking. They said the low at the ranger station that night had been 0 degrees. Bridgeport is at 6500 feet and Summit Lake is at 10,100 feet so we were well below zero - maybe 10 below. With the wind we may have been pushing 15 below. I remember we tied shirts around our faces because of the stinging of the cold wind on our skin. Being the stupid 19 year olds that we were we didn't think much of it and we were glad we brought some of our good gloves and beanies we used for skiing. I used to ski in jeans like most people in those days too. Even with the good hi tech gear I can now afford, I cringe to think how uncomfortable that night would be for me now. God I miss being 19 and stupid!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

For me, -15F. This was in the month of May, upper Deadman Canyon at about 11,000 feet, in between Elizabeth Pass and Copper Mine Pass. There was lots of snow and we knew it would be cold, but we made sure to bring the right gear and we survived just fine.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Thanksgiving Eve 2015 a few miles before Treasure Lakes in the South Lake, Bishop Creek Canyon drainage it reached 2 degrees that night. There is a slight chance it got colder but since I can't confirm it on my watch when I woke I'll say 2 is the lowest. Thanksgiving night it was 5 degrees. 2 nights later my friend and I parked at the Mammoth Mtn. Main Lodge Parking area and it was zero degrees in my truck when I woke in the morning. So technically that's the lowest I've ever slept in but I was inside a vehicle.

Christmas Day 2014 I was out on San Joaquin Ridge with the same friend only about a mile from the Ranger Station and we experienced high's in the mid teens, but the wind was howling and the wind chill during the day was hovering around the -5 to zero degree mark. But that was nothing compared to the evening and night when howling winds of 30-40 MPH with an air temp of 5 degrees caused -25 degree windchills. Without a doubt the coldest wind chills I've ever experienced but fortunately I was inside my tent. I had to dig a pit basically in the vestibule area where I put my stove and pot into where they were shielded from the wind. Needless to say it was an experience. I will also say that my Cloudburst 2 from Tarptent performed exceptionally in these conditions and we had no issue.

I have slept in the low to mid teens several times now.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Once in 1979, four of us led a beginner's snow camping trip in Yosemite (Westfall Meadow). We told the beginners to be prepared for at least +10 F. Well, it got down to -10 F, so there were some chilly faces at breakfast.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Wasn't in the Sierra. Last week of Dec. 1977 on summit of Roan Mtn. NC. An unusually strong cold front came through. Temp was -20, wind chill -40F. Was hypothermic and got frostbite in nerves of front half of both feet. We slept in a pair of 3-season bags, one inside the other, with several layers of wool. A fair amount of the hiking was on slick ice (not snow) for 5 days.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not carry a thermometer so really do not know. Definitely down to 10 degrees, probably lower. I specifically moved to the Sierra in my old age to get away from cold! I have no desire to do any winter backpacking in the Sierra - now I get to backpack on the coast in winter. :)

My cold weather experience is in Wyoming- winter mountaineering, Tetons, down to -40F, and below 0F during the day. Lots of wind-chill in the -40 to -50 range. Hung out in the snow caves we built at base camp in those conditions.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I had a cheap zipper thermometer read 0°F mid-May at around 11K. The blue Campinggaz canister was pretty sluggish to get going. Just a cold, windless morning though. With the rising sun it wasn't long before it got quite toasty.

It's probably been that cold or colder on a few Sierra winter trips too but I rarely have any kind of thermometer with me.

Wind chill has never struck me as particularly useful. The effective "feels like" temperature (i.e. equivalent still-air temperature that would result in the same rate of heat loss) depends on clothing, humidity, and solar exposure -- not just temperature and wind speed.