TR: Pear Lake (2/10-11)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Pear Lake (2/10-11)

Post by pakoR »

I did an overnight trip to Pear Lake on 2/10-11, with a couple of backpacking friends. Saturday had a clear blue sky up until mid-afternoon when clouds and fog began rolling into the canyon. The sunset was an amazing light show.

There was no snow from the parking lot at Wolverton until you reach the Hump. From this point until Emerald Lake, there was about a foot or so of solid snow/ice. There was no need for snowshoes, but micro-spikes would have been helpful. The last .75 miles into Pear Lake involved knee-deep postholing, and it would have been easier with snowshoes. None of us brought snowshoes since we weren't expecting much snow and did not want to be carrying them in.

During the day, temps were in the high 40s, and at night, the temperature dipped to 20°F. Enjoy the photos!

View from the Hump

Pear Lake

Sunset at Pear Lake

Pear Lake

Emerald Lake

Mushrooms

cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Pear Lake (2/10-11)

Post by cslaght »

Very nice! My dad and I are planning a short jaunt just to the north, expecting similar conditions. Thank you!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pic's! :thumbsup:
Did you see anyone at the Pear Lake ski hut?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the photos and the motivation!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Loving the sunset photos! I was there about 3 weeks ago and there was snow cover from the hut all the way to the parking lot. Amazing how warm it has been lately :/ Thanks for sharing!
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Great pictures! My wife and I backpacked back to Big Meadow campground that same weekend. Very little snow up there. We got hit with that same fog and clouds Saturday afternoon around 4:00pm. It really got cold at that point.
Living On Kaweah Time