Rest Breaks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rest Breaks

Post by maverick »

How often do you usually take rest breaks and for how long?

A. Every hour, 5-10 min's

B. When you get water, 5-10 min's

C. At lunch time, 20-30 min's

D. Varies from hike to hike
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Rest Breaks

Post by wildhiker »

All of the above.

I try to take a break every hour when backpacking, but also try to time it to correspond to reaching a good viewpoint, or a water source or a lunch spot. So approximately every hour, but varies depending upon the terrain and a bit on how I feel.

-Phil
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

This is really variable for me but typically speaking I do take a substantial break for lunch sometimes as long as an hour especially if the scenery is nice. There have been many hikes where I'll only take a lunch break and basically hike most of the day without stopping much, except to get water which doesn't last longer than a few minutes since I hardly filter. While climbing up a peak there will definitely be a few breather breaks but those are typically less than 5 minutes.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

None of the above, but it also varies depending on company, terrain, etc.

Usually I don't stop unless I need to (a) pee, (b) get some water, (c) change clothes, or (d) put something into my pack or take something out. Peeing or getting water takes about a minute. Changing clothes might take 3-5 minutes, depending. I don't usually do a big lunch, maybe 5-10 minutes. If I have a big pack I'll stop a little longer, like 20 minutes. That's about the limit unless it's a pleasure cruise. Sometimes it's just so freaking beautiful or I have to go for a swim or whatever. Rare, but it happens.

A longer stop than 20 minutes is basically camping.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

I usually do the short 2-3 min stop every 45 minutes or so. If its alot of uphill, I take a short 1-2 minute break every 150-200 feet of elevation gain
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Usually just the 20-30min lunch break when I'm solo. BUT I do stop often for photos or to pull stuff from my pack for 2-5min.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

When I feel like stopping to enjoy the view, or wildlife, look at a particularly interesting rock formation, or flower, or....
No set schedule.

Except never on a long steep uphill. Over the years I learned never stop on an uphill grind. Too hard to get started again. I may slow down to a snail pace but never completely stop.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

D way too variable. In general, I prefer to minimize rest breaks that are long enough to cool down and slow the heart rate back down to a resting state. That means taking the pack off. During those breaks, it's fuel up and camel up, enjoy the surroundings for a bit, then move on. Everything else is dependent on how I feel. Most "breaks" I take, I don't consider breaks. I consider them maintenance. They last only 10 seconds or so to allow lactic acid to dissipate, then move on.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

I doubt anyone takes regular rest breaks under all circumstances. First the question ought to be limited to just backpacking or just hiking as carrying increasing weight bears heavily on the need to stop and rest. Likewise are a list of other facets of hiking and backpacking like uphill, downhill, or level, the quality of a trail, on trail or off trail and on the later the difficulty of the terrain, the weather, especially temperatures if warm. Also when hiking in a group with others, it is the least capable least fit person that determines when a group stops.

When I am out with my photography gear that is often about 25 pounds, I don't stop much at all unless I see something interesting to photograph that can be often to seldom or if the route has considerable uphill. But when this 137# guy is carrying 67# as is usual on my week long backpacking trips the last few years, I tend to stop on most available trailside or route boulders or logs even if I don't need a rest because I'm rarely in a hurry, am more interested in making the strenuous effort as least unpleasant as possible versus pushing, and know from experience over hours on a route, that is likely to keep the effort below a painful threshold near the end of hiking days.

Additionally on particular strenuous backpacks have learned I can manage more effort if I break up a day into 2 parts taking a longer lunch break with a nap of a couple to three hours.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Our group tries to stop about 5 minutes every hour for hydration. Small snacks make their way in after a couple of hours on the trail. Lunch is usually a 30-45 minute affair sans backpacks. Reaching a pass is almost always a reason to drop packs, hydrate and admire both the view and our efforts.
Also make stops at all photo opportunities.
Incoming weather always alters the schedule, reducing rest time.
YMMV
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost