Rest Breaks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Rest Breaks

Post by paul »

I'm definitely in the variable camp. Tends to be around an hour on average, but sometimes I am stopping for the view a lot more than that, while other times - especially in the woods with no view and plenty of shade - I may go several hours. If solos I like to do two lunch stops instead of one, and also do an hour before breakfast. If doing that, I sometimes don't have any other rest stops. An hour or so, breakfast, a couple more hours, first lunch, a couple hours, second lunch, a couple hours and camp. And if I really want to cover ground for some reason, I'll stop for dinner and then do another hour or so before camping. I rather like doing that - makes for a nice after-dinner evening stroll. Sometimes I will take a long afternoon break and do the dinner /walk/camp thing just to spread things out. I find i like lounging in the warm afternoon more than the evening sometimes.
Goat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rest Breaks

Post by Goat »

I break whenever I look back and see my wife more than a few hundred feet back. Sorry honey:) I didn’t read all of the posts, but I’m sure there’s a common thread that the terrain dictates the breaks: getting water, soaking in the view, breathing on an uphill grind, dropping a line, or taking a dip. I tend to plan my trips to allow for plenty of these types of things.