Trip Advice: Sierra - 25ish days

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Sierra - 25ish days

Post by edhyatt »

W :) W
That is a lot of advice; thanks, I'll take a look at CalTopo and come back with an updates of where I think I'm heading (sic) with this.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry to admit this Ed, but our public transportation here in is terrible, compered to Europe. Particularly, getting from the east side of the Sierra to the west side can take a day or more. This may take up too much of your vacation time. For a person without a car, I also think the town experience would be easier on the east side. The east side communities are close to trailheads and tourist oriented; not so on the west side. However you can access some of the same high country from the east side. The nice thing about Arnot's book, is that he gives several ways to access prime locations, from several trailheads on both sides.

Most of the crowds are on the major trails. Just avoid these trails and you will have plenty of solitude. Off-trail is even better. Another thing to consider is that by August, wildfires are in full swing, so it is wise to build in some flexibility to avoid the smoke. If we do not get a lot more snow, we could be in for another bad wildfire year. Keep an eye on our forum's smoke/fire reports before you come. I usually pencil several different trips, being prepared for last minute changes. Several independent shorter trips offer more flexibility for last minute change, than one long 25-day trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You could do the Tahoe- Yosemite trail - take an Uber from Sacramento to the Meeks Bay trailhead and hike south to Yosemite where YARTS and the hiker bus and the free shuttles will get you back out of the park to Merced or Fresno where you can hop a plane, train or rental car.

Resupply would be an issue. You might rent a Bearikade Expedition and get a resupply at Sonora Pass, which I think there is a fellow who drives up for PCT thrus - his website is here - https://www.sonorapassresupply.com/

Or there is the Tahoe Rim Trail, which is crossing roads often and I believe goes through a couple of the towns/communities at different points. But not exactly the wild experience of other routes. You could hike back to the rental car.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

maverick wrote:A list of areas you have previously visited or would like to visit would help? Are you looking to move daily or would you rather like to take your time and get to know some places more intimately Ed? Many folks spend a day, maybe 1 1/2 days in a specific basin, when at least 3 days (or much more) could be spent exploring all the nooks and crannies. :)
I’ve been all along the JMT, all along the SHR, done the TRT; so really just scratched the surface. I tend to prefer moving on…it’s just my style at the moment, so unlikely to linger.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Sorry to admit this Ed, but our public transportation here in is terrible, compered to Europe. Your biggest challenge is transportation. Is renting a car totally out of consideration.

Another thing to consider is that by August, wildfires are in full swing, so it is wise to build in some flexibility to avoid the smoke.
Several independent shorter trips offer more flexibility for last minute change, than one long 25-day trip.
Pretty much – I don’t drive :o I am a very lucky hitcher usually though.

That’s a good point about fires, I encountered problems with that on some PCT sections in 2016.

I’m looking at all suggestions on CalTopo (beats the blues at work); thanks.

Somewhat amazingly I found the Arnot book in the UK and it is on its way to me for $10 \:D/

I think, as you suggest, that planning three-to-four flexible trips (and choose two once there) is a great idea.
CAMERONM wrote:
So I am vacillating between more Pyrenees or getting back to the Sierra this summer.
Thems are fighting words Ed. What's there to vacillate about?
Time really. But bring it on….I fight dirty :p