I STOPPED HIKING THE PCT BECAUSE OF TOXIC MA

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I STOPPED HIKING THE PCT BECAUSE OF TOXIC MA

Post by markskor »

longri wrote:... my point. A little over twenty-five years ago I drove to Yosemite Valley on a summer day, went to the wilderness office in the middle of the afternoon, and got a permit to walk the JMT. You can't do that today.
Maybe we live in different worlds...
Not from the Valley but from a Tuolumne Meadows TH start, yes you still can obtain walk-up JMT permits - and lots do - daily.
Using the "next day" - be in line at TM Wilderness permit office (not the Valley or anywhere else), good attitude, have a ready backpack, be flexible, and hope strategy... have seen many an early riser be successful, permit-wise... yes, SOBO JMT hikers.
The hopefuls line up early, (dawn-ish?), hoping for that TM JMT permit. With the no shows and the next day quota numbers (6 - 8?), at 11:00, almost all who are there waiting will find themselves hiking out, some that very morning.

I meet them maybe chillin' out for a day TM backpacker, or hanging out at the store/cafe, usually big smiles and getting ready to leave tomorrow morning.
BTW, Talking with the TM Rangers - On many summer weekdays, there are open JMT spots (Donahue and Parker) that go unclaimed daily - never to be used.
just saying -
Mountainman who swims with trout
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

markskor wrote:Maybe we live in different worlds...
Well, I'm on Earth. I'm pretty sure you are too. :-)

The thing is, you're answering a different question: Can you get a walk-up permit for the JMT from T.M?

I know all too well that you can get a permit to walk the JMT in dozens of ways. I've done it repeatedly in recent years. It's just that the classic start in Yosemite and walk to Whitney version is now a hard-to-obtain ticket. There aren't enough for everybody who wants one. Just like Half Dome.

It's not about imminent doom. It's more of a steady erosion. And, just like the ice in the Palisades, it's not going to return to the old way. Ever.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

As another old guy let me share my perspective. I have only had a reservation for a Sierra Trailhead a few times out of perhaps 100 trips. I learned the process and followed it. I have never not got a permit. I've had to adjust a trip and I don't expect to get a permit for me and 10 pals on the JMT. I'm one of those guys Markskor has seen hanging out at the Tuolumne store. I've slept (in a chair, illegal to be in a bag) on the wilderness office steps more than once. There are countless options and trailheads. Yosemite is one of the most iconic parks in the world. Of course some trails are busy. But I have little problem finding solitude in the Yosemite backcountry. When you are 20+ miles out the only guys you might run into are guys like Markskor and some other really old guy. There are certain seasons where I avoid certain trailheads. It takes a little homework to figure things out. Not sure why it seems some are quick to point fingers at something they perceive as broken because they think the process is too hard. Yea I remember 1975 when the wilderness ranger would drag a kiosk out into the parking lot where the nice building is now. Backpacking popularity has always gone in cycles. The bucket listers are the main stressers to the process and I agree with other people's sentiments on making them follow the rules like we all do or rerouting them. I took my first trip 43 years ago before they invented computers. We used telephones and the US mail to get permits. It's actually easier than ever today to get a permit without even leaving your couch.

I could go on forever about how people are being duped into thinking the government is keeping something from them as a ruse to steal our public lands. The fact that our parks are understaffed and have billions in deferred maintenance while corporations reap the profits of the tourism that is funneled away from our parks. By the way Yosemite is in California district 4 and our representative for that district would like nothing else but to have it run by corporations. He favors opening up National Parks for mining. That's what you should be concerned about. Politics is the last thing I want to discuss on this board. I come here for the amazing backcountry info with some kindred spirits that love the wilderness.

Park Rangers and the people that maintain trails have always been heroes to me. They certainly don't do it for the money. There are already many non profit organizations trying to fill the void that our federal government won't. The Yosemite Conservancy is one of them and I intend to volunteer for them when I retire in 3 years. I'd like to be part of the solution.

Now that I think about it I've met a lot of people on the trail. I'm a chatty guy. I have never talked politics with anyone on the trail. There are too many fishing and trail topics I need to find out about to ruin my trip talking about politics. That's the same reason I usually come to this forum!

Happy Trails!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

apeman45 wrote:There are countless options and trailheads. Yosemite is one of the most iconic parks in the world. Of course some trails are busy. But I have little problem finding solitude in the Yosemite backcountry. When you are 20+ miles out the only guys you might run into are guys like Markskor and some other really old guy. There are certain seasons where I avoid certain trailheads. It takes a little homework to figure things out.
I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

apeman45 wrote:Backpacking popularity has always gone in cycles.
That's one theory. I've heard rangers make that prediction, that the current surge in JMT, PCT, etc. is a temporary thing, a fad driven by books, movies, and social media. I hope they're right.

But the backpacking cycle theory may not hold up in the future. It certainly doesn't appear to apply to places like Half Dome and Whitney. I suspect those are the just the first to show the signs. Those of us who go deeper into the wilderness and/or enter via less traveled routes can overlook the changes, even though the evidence is there as well. It's slow enough you can kind of ignore it.

I think the changing climate is a good analogy. It's happening slowly and for the most part it doesn't matter on a day to day basis. But the physical reality is plain to see for anyone who isn't blind. Similarly, the reality of the demographics point to a stress on the Sierra that isn't likely to abate. One alternative theory is that population pressures will force a change in how the Sierra is regulated. The Sierra wilderness is somewhat unusual in that only entry points are gated. That could change.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. Or at least I hope I'm wrong about the time scale. I want to keep walking freely in the Sierra for as long as I'm able. I'm glad I was around early enough to do some of the things that are now impossible. I can't help but wonder what is next.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I swore to myself I wouldn't respond to this thread again, but If you're talking about climate change now, that is not the topic.

Topic: "I STOPPED HIKING THE PCT BECAUSE OF TOXIC MA"
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:I swore to myself I wouldn't respond to this thread again, but If you're talking about climate change now, that is not the topic.

Topic: "I STOPPED HIKING THE PCT BECAUSE OF TOXIC MA"
It was an analogy, rlown.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Or just visit some of the lesser used areas.

Many Wilderness Areas have no quotas or permits, and you can find solitude on a main trail.
Or for that matter...just avoid designated Wilderness altogether. There is plenty of NF and BLM non-wilderness with trails and backcountry and scarcely any visitors. Then head off-trail.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=