Interesting strava heat map showing gps routes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Interesting strava heat map showing gps routes

Post by freestone »

Thank you all posting and refining this thread but I still have some questions. Below is a series of views centered on the Kings-Kern Divide and Lake SA is the obvious landmark most of us will recognize. I noticed the Caltopo map with the heat layer shows less tracks even though the information came from Strava. It shows an interesting route over Lucy's Foot Pass, but no activity over Harrison.

I changed the map layer to the Satellite view with the heat at 100% and had an easier time of seeing all the tracks, including several tracks over Harrison.

You can also remove the map entirely to get a feel for just how many people have been into a specific area.

I like the Caltopo layer best of all, but for some reason only certain tracks seem to appear? Again, a big thanks to Dbogey for posting and SirBC and Limpingcrab, for refining the views.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Yes, I've noticed that the Strava heatmap layer overlay for the CalTopo maps isn't as complete as other Strava heatmaps. This one has far more detail and specifies that it is using Strava data from 2017. But it doesn't have all of the goodies that I love on CalTopo...
-------------
Dave | flickr
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

After some investigation of Strava Global Heatmap web page I found that you can use the following URL template in Caltopo custom later to see more data:

"http://heatmap-external-c.strava.com/ti ... X}/{Y}.png"

You can use "-a", "-b" or "-c", to load balance their servers, I think.
Use "all", "ride", "run", "water", or "winter" to see different activities.
Use "hot", "blue", "gray", or "bluered" to select color of the tracks.

For the rest of the instructions see SirBC post at http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 10#p131460.

The tracks look faint.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks SirBC for the link to the 2017 map. This is all making more sense now. If the data were truly representative of all hiking activity, it would be a good tool for the FS or NPS to manage the trails.

I took a good look at the Wind RIver Mtns. in Wyoming. It is interesting that the two "high routes" , Skurka's and Dixon's, both which give out GPS tracks on the internet, have distinct lines, although not nearly the number as on popular trails. I suspect that those who use published GPS tracks for navigation, are also more likely to use the app for the "heat map". CDT thru-hikers also fall into this category.

Similar thing going on with Sierra with published GPS tracks and "on-line route guides". Interesting to note that Roper was purposefully a bit vague for his route in fear of the general route becoming a use-trail. I did the SHR in 2010 and since then, have been on parts and noticed the faint trails and way too many cairns that were not previously there. PCT and JMT hikers also are very likely to use published GPS tracks, as well as the heat map app.

Am I the only one a bit freaked out by this? Personally, if I used a GPS, I would never use that app; it seems a bit contrary to the wilderness experience.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Interesting that at least 3 of my favorite places have no tracks!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I hope everyone realizes that the data you are seeing is just a small subset of actual usage. I believe this data is only from people who are using strava gps and are allowing for their data to uploaded into the cloud. I suspect that is a very small subset of offtrail hikers in the sierra.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

Anyone can upload GPS data from devices like Garmin, Suunto.... to Strava
Just another day in paradise
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

dbogey wrote:Anyone can upload GPS data from devices like Garmin, Suunto.... to Strava
Yeah, I record my GPS tracks with my Suunto watch and when I sync with my Suunto account it automatically uploads the tracks to my Strava account in the background.
-------------
Dave | flickr
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I use MyFitness instead of Strava. My account is linked to my health insurance, and as long as I maintain activity levels and other health markers I get a rebate on my premiums.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

dave54 wrote:I use MyFitness instead of Strava. My account is linked to my health insurance, and as long as I maintain activity levels and other health markers I get a rebate on my premiums.
Wow, that's a pretty cool concept. I'm a little shocked that we have something as forward thinking as that in the healthcare space here in the US.
-------------
Dave | flickr