Water Rationing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water Rationing

Post by Dmasten »

I almost always carry too much. I start the day with about 1 liter water in a platypus, a quart of electrolyte drink and a 20 oz iced coffee. The coffee is for breakfast but usually lasts until lunchtime. I'll sip water pretty frequently as I'm hiking, and I'll drink the electrolyte drink at rest stops as needed. I usually have water remaining when I get water for dinner. I drink as I get thirsty. I'll stop and top off if I'm about to head into a dry area, such as heading over some passes.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I carry a two liter Platypus with a sip tube and sip water steadily--probably every 10 minutes. It dramatically improved my experience. When I drank from bottles it was such a pain to stop and take off the pack for a drink that I drank far too infrequently. This led to mild dehydration, causing headaches and dizziness. I used to think headaches and dizziness were just a natural consequence of high elevation, particularly for a flat lander like me. Wrong. They are a natural consequence of dehydration which I was experiencing every time I went into the mountains. Now I never have those problems.

I agree on monitoring urine color. It is a very reliable way to show how easy it is to become dehydrated.
https://dripdrop.com/blogs/news/chart-dehydrated

When I have to climb a steep long trail in the sun, I will sometimes fill an extra water bottle and carry three liters. Getting from Nevada Falls to Illilouette Creek en route to Mono Meadows on a hot afternoon, I carried three liters and drank 2 1/2. There was no water between Nevada Falls and the crossing of Illilouette and it involved a steep canyon climb and the traverse of a burn zone during a heat wave. I could have made it with 2 liters, but it would have been unpleasant.

If I know there is a lot of water available (walking along a stream, for example) I will cut back to one liter or less.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I cannot imagine drinking more than two liters of water a day, while on the trail. I also do not find taking off my pack to get the water bottle a big bother. Generally my pack is pretty light. When conditions are such that I think I will need more water, I just drink at every source I cross, taking a small water filter if the water quality is suspect.

I wonder if men in general need more water per-pound of body weight than woman? Perhaps based on having more muscle mass? I have heard (not substantiated) that vegetarians need less water than meat-eaters because lots of water is needed to digest meat.

I think SSSDave hit the nail on the head- drinking in proportion to sweating. Pacing yourself and clothing management, so that you do not sweat, could likely reduces the need for water.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I try to drink approximately 1 "bottle" or 600 to 700 mL per hr and will drink more if its hot, less if its cold. The 600 to 700 mL comes from my experience cycling & running and actually attempting to measure my own fluid loss per hr. Go out and ride or run for an hr and don't drink, weight yourself before and after and use the difference to determine how much you've lost thru sweat. I generally drink a bottle worth at a water stop then fill a bottle to carry (only carrying 1). So, I try to plan water stops every 2 hrs-ish. I tend to drink by thirst, then drink a bit extra if an hr as gone by if I still have water. I do carry a platy for extra water, for dry sections. I've ran into trouble before during drought years, running out of water. It wasn't fun, but not the end of the world either. I treat when on trail, but not always off trail.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I drink more water when I have a bladder. The hose is right there on my shoulder so I grab a quick sip without breaking stride. Every few minutes I grab a sip, almost by rote without even being aware I am doing it. With a bottle you have to stop and take off your pack or do some gymnastic contortion reaching behind. So I drink less.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I never carry water unless I think it'll be at least two or three hours before I see water again, which is rare while hiking and usually only a concern for rock climbs or winter travel.

Instead I drink one full liter whenever I pass water. It was hard at first but now I can drink one liter without a breath and then carry an empty bottle until there's water again. Also, I usually don't purify but if I do it's with a steripen so I don't have to stop or take off my pack. Easy to carry an empty nalgene with a steripen inside just clipped to my backpack.

I hate carrying water!

Side note:
Most water loss during moderate exercise at elevation is through your mouth, not sweat, so using sweat as a gauge isn't very reliable. Also, studies show that drinking more water less often hydrates you better (meaning reaches your tissues) than taking smaller sips more often. The main reason being that your most efficient water/electrolyte absorption is done in your large intestine and small sips don't make it there but are instead used for other membrane transport and metabolic processes along the way. Short version: if you're dehydrated it's better to drink than to ration, unless those sips help psychologically.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I disagree. The overwhelming majority of the minerals are absorbed in the duodenum, right below the pyloric valve where the stomach attaches. The bivalent minerals all use the same transporters. This is why the body can only absorb so much electrolyte at any one time. The transport mechanism gets maxed out and the extra unused minerals pass right on through. At high concentrations of salt, the solution pulls water out of the tissues to dilute itself to a lower molarity. Too much electrolyte solution actually dehydrates you.

I agree thirst is a poor indicator of hydration. The sensation of thirst does not even start until the body is already dehydrated by 1-2% of body weight. Metabolic functions are already slightly degraded at that point. Keep your tank full as much as possible and you are much less likely to ever get dehydrated.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I agree thirst is a poor indicator of hydration. The sensation of thirst does not even start until the body is already dehydrated by 1-2% of body weight. Metabolic functions are already slightly degraded at that point.
:thumbsup:

https://ksi.uconn.edu/prevention/hydration/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

dave54 wrote: Too much electrolyte solution actually dehydrates you.
That's why I drink my Gatorade or Cytomax liquid diluted to either one-half or one-third concentration.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, a lot of moisture is lost from your mouth, but I rarely breath with my mouth open. I hate to get that dry-mouth feel. If I have to breath with my mouth open, then I slow down. I think a lot depends on your style of hiking. Those who push hard and want to achieve peak performance have water needs more in line with athletic activities; those of us who putter down the trail, slow and steady, smelling the roses, have different needs. Timing also makes a difference. I do most of my hiking early morning and by the peak heat of the day, I am usually setting up camp, meandering around taking photos, or fishing! Any start from Owens Valley is at 4AM! I do get thirsty during the day, but make sure not to be thirsty when I go into the tent. I drink at night as needed. Never start the day thirsty. Honestly, I usually walk only from 5-7 hours out of the 24. Just my preference- walk every day instead of long pushes and layover days.

All this discussion goes to show, everyone is different!