Prime names on Wilderness Permits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by amigo »

My friend and I are planning a backpack trip in the Sierras this summer. We're not sure yet if we're going to Yosemite, Kings Canyon, or to one of the Inyo NF Wilderness areas. My question is that one of us will apply for a wilderness permit on behalf of the two of us. If the person who applied has to cancel his or her trip for whatever reason (e.g., death in family, health issue), can the other person still pick up that permit if he/she still wants to do the trip, or must the person who applied be present? Any way to have two names as "prime"?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Prime names on Wilderness Permits

Post by balzaccom »

Usually it's one leader per permit, and that person has to collect the permit. (You can't get a permit by mail---only a reservation for a permit. You have to pick the permit up in person on the day of your hike, or the day before.)
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

Seems I can put more than one name for the Inyo NF application form but not for Kings Canyon or Yosemite. Rather inflexible.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I just reserved a permit for the golden trout opener at Cottonwood Lakes. IIRC, there was a spot on the application to put down other names if the lead person cannot pick up the permit. The reservation fee has gone up to $10 from $6, but each person is still only $5. So, twenty bucks for you and your buddy.

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
The group leader or alternate leader must check in at our visitor center to pick up the wilderness permit and carry the permit while on the trip. Only the leader or alternate listed when the reservation is made can use the permit, reservations cannot be transferred or sold.
When you make your reservation on rec.gov, type in your friends names into the "alternative leaders" box, so if you do not show up, they can use the permit.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsin ... FSE_003756
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

I've had friends pick up permits in my name a couple of times at Yosemite with no issues. The friend gave my name as the person with the reservation but the actual permit was issued in her name. I had forwarded the confirmation email to her with a note to pick it up if she arrived first but they didn't ask to see the confirmation.

From Yosemite's permit info, "Even with a reservation, you, or another member of your hiking group, must pick up the wilderness permit at any permit station..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

Ok, doesn't sound if there'll be any problem. Thanks everyone!