Mono Creek: favorite side basins and recesses

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Creek: favorite side basins and recesses

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Agree with the given advice. The entire canyon is fantastic. I would go to Laurel and Grinnell lakes, but that's because I haven't been up (or down) that drainage. Pioneer Basin is very scenic as well. Just as a friendly note, don't underestimate early season (June is early in the Sierra) flows even in low water years. As an example, sometime after the Quaternary ice age (1977) I did a trip up Bear Creek from the west side. 77 was the last a driest year of a 3 year drought period and we started our hike on 20 June. While the flow as lower than normal, my friend was still swept off his feet attempting to cross Bear Creek at the JMT crossing. He lunged for some shore line shrubs and was able to hold on until my brother, who had narrowly avoided falling in just before him, got a hold of him and helped him out. I opted for a log about a 1/4 mile downstream. A few days later, we had planned on spending out last days at the Hot Springs near the JMT Ranch. Trouble was, after getting there we realized we couldn't cross the So Fk of the San Joaquin due to its flow. I wasn't aware of the bridge on the ranch property in those days, so it no Hot Springs on that trip. I'm in no way saying don't go, just let the conditions make the decisions.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Does anybody go over Gabb-Abbot Pass these days?
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

One afternoon in August I hiked from fish camp to Grinnell Lake. Earlly in the morning it was raining. When I arrived at the foot of the meadow I saw as beautiful a sight as one could imagine. The entire basin below Grinnell was covered with a light snow with a beautiful ridge of peaks behind it. I could have cried because I didn't have a camera. It may have been the most beautiful sight of my life. I'll never forget it.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I second what everyone says. I would personally head up Second Recess to see Lower and Upper Mills Creek Lakes. That and Grinnell Lake would be high on my list.

As someone mentioned the water levels during a low snow year, also don't underestimate the mosquitoes in a low snow year. They will still be out and present and quite vicious early season. I wouldn't doubt there will be plenty of mosquitoes out there till at least Mid July this year. Even later in some spots.

To answer your question bobby, yes I've gone over Gabbot Pass several times and I know quite a few people that have as well. It's a great pass that puts you into epic country from either side.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Thanks for the words of wisdom about creek crossing in June even in low-snow years. All my Sierra backpack experience is August-September, so this trek in June will be new for me. If one stays on the north side of Mono Creek, are any of the side creeks from Laurel/Grinell, Hopkins and Pioneer likely to provide challenging? I guest we'll know when we get there, it was a super low-snow year but it looks like we're getting some precipitation in March at least.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

As with other high passes, if we get some more snow this year the north side of Gabbott might still require some traction in June. It was a solid steep soft ice run mid-August this last summer.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Will Edison Lake be drained again this year, as it sometimes is in drought years?

That (to me) would be a planning consideration. It would increase your walking mileage while negatively affecting the scenery.

Of the side canyons I've been to in the Mono basin, here's how I'd rate them...

1. Laurel Lake
2. Pioneer Basin
3. Fourth Recess
4. Third Recess

Pioneer Basin can have fantastic photography conditions if you happen to be into that. I loved Pioneer for its open, walkabout atmosphere.

Fourth Recess: Nice setting, but for me, that didn't quite make up for the mediocre camping there (lots of horse poop smell mixed into the soil) and the crowds.

- Elizabeth