Iron Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Iron Creek

Post by oleander »

Has anyone here (besides Maverick) descended Iron Creek to the North Fork San Joaquin?

I'd probably pop over that easy saddle WNW of Ashley Lake (been there before, on the way to Iron Lake) and descend from there.

Iron Creek looks like a lot of fun, but there is a crux approximately 1/3 of the way down, with the creek falling through a cliffy cleft. It's not easy to tell either from the saddle above nor from Google Earth how difficult it is getting around that crux. From the bottom of the descent I'd ultimately head north towards Twin Island Lakes.

I'd have a full pack. OK with easy-medium Class 3 or any Class 2 that is not ridiculously loose.

- Oleander
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Iron Creek

Post by oldranger »

I've traveled from the north fork of the SJ almost all the way to Iron Lake. But that was in the early 70s and I was fishing without a pack. Don't remember any particular difficulties but I was young and dumb and that was a long time ago.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Iron Creek

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Oleander,
I just did a post for Mike about Long Creek (on the other side of the ridge from Iron Creek). The one time I went through the Iron Creek drainage, we ascended the easier contours toward the ridge that connects to Ashley and then traversed over to Iron Lake. I have not looked closely at the steeper section of Iron Creek, but maybe Mav can provide a heads up. The route we took was uneventful, but I'm sure you could up the ante by getting closer to the creek. Cameron