? How to get Half Dome Permit, with a WP from outside Yose?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

? How to get Half Dome Permit, with a WP from outside Yose?

Post by Scouter9 »

Okay, let's set aside that the Feds are closed right now and ain't nobody getting nothing... #-o. Here's the scenario: I want to trek from Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, with a stop for skateboarding on Half Dome.... or at least clambering up it.

So, I'll get my permit from Inyo, since I enter at Agnew. How should I get the HD permit? I can't see the pages, due to the shutdown, but I don't recall a choice on the Inyo page for the half dome stuff. Who's done something like this? Do I call Yosemite and give them my Inyo permit number, afterward, or etc?

Since the magic day for this permit is Wednesday... this ought to be stressful, no matter what.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: ? How to get Half Dome Permit, with a WP from outside Yo

Post by AlmostThere »

The cables aren't up on Wednesday, and won't be until May. No permits handed out til May. Got ice climbing gear? No go otherwise. Got skis or snowshoes, winter backpacking skills? If not, what are you really doing here?

Are you already on the east side of Tioga Pass? It's closed. Are you aware that there is enough snow to make it slow going, even if it's pathetic compared to past years? Are you aware that the road to the Agnew trailhead is under snow?
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

:cool: Weds is the 6 month-out day: first available WPermit for July date. The plan is to stroll up in sunshine, but we need to lock down permits in advance.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Googling gives you the answer. Websites are still there after all. Yosemite says:

Wilderness permits issued outside of Yosemite are no longer valid for hiking Half Dome. If you're beginning your backpacking trip outside of Yosemite, you'll need a Half Dome permit, which you can apply for using the lotteries. There are two exceptions to this rule: if you're hiking the John Muir Trail and starting at Cottonwood Lakes or Cottonwood Pass trailheads, your Inyo National Forest wilderness permit is valid for hiking Half Dome. These are the only two trailheads outside Yosemite that have this exception.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Cranky Monday, huh Skippy?

Okay, notwithstanding your childlike petulance, I appreciate you finding what I did not, while using that same Google. This is why I asked here: folks might know the answer, even folks with a chip on their shoulder.

So, thanks little man, I do appreciate the part that mattered.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You say petulant, I say matter of fact and to the point. We are usually concerned when there's no indication of date and it sounds like you're going in the middle of winter - believe it or not, that happens here. Sorry you misconstrued my terse answers for anything but.

Good luck on your trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

PS. Not little, or a man. Don't forget to use reconn.org.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Thanks again.

The only misconstruing, as it were, however is yours: of my original post and the meaning of the word petulant. Google : Dictionary. Own it, and here's hoping you have a better day.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

OK...enough is enough of the name calling. Both a legitimate question and response but...
Any more and I will lock this thread down.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikingnana
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikingnana »

I am seeking the same answer for the HD permit. I also read if you start at Cottonwood Lakes, your permit is valid for HD. Just to check this out, and get an" in hand" email insurance policy, I sent Inyo an email and they said, no HD permit if starting from Cottonwood Lakes. So I am perplexed.