Second Lake/Temple Crag in early June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bjorn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Second Lake/Temple Crag in early June

Post by Bjorn »

Hi all,

I'm planning an overnight stay at Second Lake/Temple Crag in early June (7-8 is the plan). I plan to do some photography there, and while I realise the timing might not be ideal (due to snow cover) I have little flexibility timewise. The snow situation appears to be very different from year to year in that area (which I've never visited). I just wonder if anybody knows how common it is that the lake is still ice covered at that time of year, or could point me to a good online resource to look that up. Thanks in advance!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Second Lake/Temple Crag in early June

Post by maverick »

Hi Bjorn,

Welcome to HST! Swedish?

Here you go: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... emple+crag
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bjorn
Topix Novice

Post by Bjorn »

Thanks maverick!

Yes, Swedish from Stockholm, but used to live in the US and recently bought a lot in the June Lake area. This summer I'll start exploring the Sierra more seriously!

Thank you for the information. Seems there wasn't a lot of snow 2014, whereas the lake was frozen over the same time last year. Let's see what this year will be like.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, Swedish from Stockholm
When living in Hungary, my best friend was from Malmo. :)

PS Do any backpacking in Sweden? We do have a section for TR's from areas outside of the US. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bjorn
Topix Novice

Post by Bjorn »

The world is small sometimes :)
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Bjorn,

Can't speak for historic patterns, but I'll add a data point from last year: was there in late June (22-25). First and Second were free of ice although there was considerable snow on the south (Temple Crag) side of both lakes. North side was mostly open with pick of spots to camp.

It wasn't until gaining elevation past Third Lake to Fourth and beyond that we encountered 4-6' banks that covered the trail. Fifth was mostly iced over and we did not hike on to Sixth or Seventh. Fourth and Black were not frozen.

I would imagine it's a beautiful place in all seasons and I hope you are able to make it out there safely.
Bjorn
Topix Novice

Post by Bjorn »

Great Jeremiahkim, thanks! I'll stick with the plan for now, seems there's a good chance it'll be mostly free of ice and I'm sure it's beautiful in any case. As for the hike, I'm no stranger to snowy ones :)
Bjorn
Topix Novice

Post by Bjorn »

maverick, just saw your second question. Yes, I've done plenty of hiking in Sweden, the favorite national park is called Sarek, which is a very wild mountainous area in the far north. Very beautiful, but pretty tough conditions year round http://www.nationalparksofsweden.se/cho ... onal-park/