Parking just outside the SEKI 180 entrance

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Parking just outside the SEKI 180 entrance

Post by oleander »

Has anyone ever left their car parked outside the SEKI 180 entrance?

Google Maps shows some forest roads - including the one headed to Sequoia Lake - branching off from the 180 a few miles before the entrance. However, I have never checked any of them out. Barring that, there is also the Highway 245 towards Pinehurst.

Going camping (Lodgepole CG) later this year in SEKI, with several people/cars. We might prefer to leave one or more cars outside the park, not only to avoid crowding the campground with all of our cars, but also to avoid that potential $70 per-car sticker price just for entry.

[Leaving a car in Fresno is also an option and I've done it before...But I want to see if one could park right outside the park.]

- Oleander
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Parking just outside the SEKI 180 entrance

Post by Dave_Ayers »

There are a number of turnouts along 180, including one across from Happy Gap. I also recall a large turnout about 0.6 mi west of the 245 junction, maybe 3.5 mi from the Big Stump Entrance Station (36°43'23.20"N 119°). I don't know if there are any overnight parking restrictions for the turnouts, you'd probably have to check with Fresno county.