Can I get to Bear lake in emigrant now?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Can I get to Bear lake in emigrant now?

Post by Willythedog »

Thinking about getting a quick trip in this weekend.
I’m trying to keep it below 8k so I don’t have to slog through all the fresh snow that’s falling tonight and tomorrow.

Thought about Bear lake in emigrant wilderness. The elevation is around 7600 so I should be ok in terms of unconsolidated snow. Only problem is getting to the trailhead. Briefly talked to the ranger and she said Crabtree road was closed around dodge ridge... anyone know where exactly it is closed? Obviously I can’t get all the way to Crabtree trailhead but...

Looking on my maps there seems to be a trail from Aspen Meadows into pine valley. Only 2.7 miles so not that much of a detour.

Gonna call the ranger again tomorrow but if anyone’s got any insight let me know!

Any other suggestion on places to go would also be appreciated. For this quickie trip I’m just looking for trailheads that are open (seems like all the trailheads off dirt roads are closed and gated off), below the snow level of this current storm, and something <4 hours from marin county.

Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Can I get to Bear lake in emigrant now?

Post by AlmostThere »

Why do you think there's no snow in Emigrant? Dodge Ridge reports snow down to 7300 feet.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Last I heard it was a dusting at 7300 and 2 inches at 8200. That info plus when I went up clouds rest a week and a half ago there was no snow except on the top of peaks is why I’m thinking that there won’t be much snow. (I’m totally good with snow, just rather not deal with post holing super hard)

This storm is warm so it’s suppose to bring only a couple inches below 8k. Will recheck tomorrow afternoon to confirm
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

"Colder air will arrive sometime Tuesday, bringing the snow level back down below our summit elevation and then continued cooling will likely bring the snowline down as low as our base area. Forecasters are calling for several inches of snowfall below 7,000 ft. We’ll update you as the storm progresses, though the forecast appears to fall short of an opening day announcement following this storm."

No wonder the gates are closed...
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If you are in Marin County, why not do something in the coast ranges? A lot closer than 4 hours. No snow to deal with. If you can snag a permit at Point Reyes National Seashore, it could be really nice and sunny. Further north and inland, there is some backpacking at Austin Creek State Recreation Area or at the Cache Creek Wilderness downstream from Clear Lake.
-Phil
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I wouldn't go in unless I had full set of winter clothing and gear (skis, snowshoes, snow parka, powder pants, Spot/Sat. phone, and other gear). Weather forecasting is not a precise enough science that I'd trust my life on it.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The road is closed at Aspen Meadows Pack Station, if that helps. At least, that's where they normally close it during the first stnows. Later they will close it right where is stops getting plowed at Dodge Ridge.

You can probably hike the dirt roads to Herring Creek Reservoir or Niagara CG from 108 at this point. This new storm is bringing more snow though, so be prepared for that---and for your car getting snowed in.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Report overnight is that the snow level was hovering around 8k. Didnt seem to snow much below that - couple inches at most. High pressure is suppose to move in so this weekend is looking real nice weather wise.

Ranger confirmed that Crabtree Road is gated off from highway 108 and from Dodge Ridge Road. (they apparently gate it off every year from December 15th) I was hoping it would be closed at Aspen Meadows but no biggie.

I think ill have a go at it this weekend.

And thanks for the suggestion Wildhiker. For some reason or another i dont really like the coast ranges. Mountains > ocean and not to mention Im paranoid about poison oak (even though they lose their leaves the stalk will still get ya) and ticks.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The coast is sublime in winter. No fog, no ticks, no snow, maybe a little frost. Gorgeous sunsets. I never see poison oak at Point Reyes or in the Marin headlands, and hiking in Santa Cruz Mountains... the Ventana is a little different, but, there are mudslides closing the 1 anyway atm.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Feather Falls is a good winter trip. Where the trail ends at the falls (an overlook) go off trail to get above the falls, where there are good campsites.

There is poison oak at Pt Reyes in the winter! But the trails are good and it is easy to avoid. I just love Pt. Reyes in the winter!

You may want to check out Pinnacles NP. There is a nice campground and a lengthy loop hike, although backpacking is not allowed.

If you have a 4wd, and can get to Salt Springs Reservoir, there is a nice 10-mi round trip trail to the inlet. There are lots of big granite walls on either side of the canyon.